14099Village hierarchy

  • Carl Kotlarchik
    Jan 2, 2006
      Could anyone explain some things about the hierachy in farm villages
      in the 1800s? Vladimir Bohinc has written a bit about it on Bill
      Tarkulich's web-site but I am wondering about things like marriage
      practices between people of different social status.

      I also admit to still being a bit confused over all the terms used
      to describe farmers, tradesmen and herdsmen. For example, what is
      the difference between jobbagy, colonus, zseller, foldmuves, rolik,
      gazda, and sedliak? I have found most of these terms in the records
      I have been searching. Some appear to own land and others seem to
      work for the land owners. I also see the term "szolga" which
      translates to man servant but what exactly did they do? Were szolga
      the same as podludnik or subinquilini?

      Would it be common for a family listed as a jobbagy or colonus to
      marry with someone from a family of pasztor? What about tradesmen
      and others like szolga and men in the army? Who was free to move
      around and who was tied to the land or nobility? Could a herdsman
      or a tradesman change occupations freely? Discussions about these
      kinds of questions would be very useful to help understand the times
      back then.

      I am reading as much as I can about the culture but so much seems
      contradictory. Many individuals in this forum have been so helpful
      explaining these things to those of us who are less knowledgeable.
      My thanks to all of you.

      Carl Kotlarchik
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic