13877Re: [S-R] Central Europe

  • amiak27
    Dec 1, 2005
      Yes, it seems that "Eastern Europe" was redefined for the cold war,
      but now that that war is past the old use of "Central Europe" is
      coming back.

      On the location of the center of Europe, I also visited one, but
      this one is 25 km (15 miles) due north of Vilnius, Lithuania. THat
      distinctly puts Slovakia in western central Europe. Our western
      bend to history includes geography. Most people report "the highest
      European mountain" in France, I believe, where it is really in the
      southern Ukraine/ Caucauses.

      Perhaps we should start to collect locations of all the
      different "centers of Europe" that various people have proclaimed.

      Ron

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Joyce & Bill <bhewlett@v...>
      wrote:

      > You are right in what you say. I think after WW2 and during the
      communist era, the American mind set was to divide Europe into the
      free West and the Communist East and the central didn't exist. Now
      that things have changed, unless one is interested in those
      countries, which are central, people still tend to think of them as
      Eastern Europe.
      > Joyce
      >
      > From: maureen <maureen@d...>
      > >Date: Wed Nov 30 23:34:56 CST 2005
      > >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: [S-R] Central Europe
      >
      > >Janet,
      > >On my most recent trip to Slovakia and Ukraine I was amazed to
      see the marker indicating the geographical center of Europe - it
      sits in the eastern part of Zakarpattia, Ukraine, just across the
      Tisa from Romania, almost to the town of Rahkiv. Now, when I hear
      anyone, on this list or others, refer to Slovakia and Ukraine
      as "Eastern Europe," the first thing I want to do is to write a
      reply to correct the misconception. But, I never do it.

      > >You have given me the opportunity to send a positive note on this
      topic, because you correctly identify the places of origin as
      Central Europe. Thank you!

      > >Maureen Pulignano
      > >www.deefalt.com
      > >

      > > Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:47:55 -0500
      > > From: "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@c...>
      > >Subject: RE: Bohok and Bohunk
      > >

      > >I have been intrigued by the derogatory (not euphemistic)
      term "Bohunk,"
      > >referring to immigrants from Central Europe. Most "authorities"
      suggest it
      > >is a combined term referring to Bohemians and Hungarians. I think
      there is
      > >another explanation that they don't consider, and that is that
      the term may
      > >have come from Bohunka, which is a perfectly good family name
      found in
      > >Slovakia and (especially) Czech Republic. The term has bothered
      me because
      > >it doesn't seem quite natural geographically to lump together
      Bohemians and

      http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank
      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic