      From: Janet Kozlay <kozlay@...>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:47:55 -0500
      Subject: RE: [S-R] Bohok and Bohunk

      I have been intrigued by the derogatory (not
      euphemistic) term "Bohunk,"
      referring to immigrants from Central Europe. Most
      "authorities" suggest it
      is a combined term referring to Bohemians and
      Hungarians. I think there is
      another explanation that they don't consider, and that
      is that the term may
      have come from Bohunka, which is a perfectly good
      family name found in
      Slovakia and (especially) Czech Republic. The term has
      bothered me because
      it doesn't seem quite natural geographically to lump
      together Bohemians and
      Hungarians, even for ignorant Americans.

      Janet

      To unsubscribe from this group, go to
      http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
      -or- send blank email to