13866RE: [S-R] Bohok and Bohunk

  • Janet Kozlay
    Nov 29, 2005
      I have been intrigued by the derogatory (not euphemistic) term "Bohunk,"
      referring to immigrants from Central Europe. Most "authorities" suggest it
      is a combined term referring to Bohemians and Hungarians. I think there is
      another explanation that they don't consider, and that is that the term may
      have come from Bohunka, which is a perfectly good family name found in
      Slovakia and (especially) Czech Republic. The term has bothered me because
      it doesn't seem quite natural geographically to lump together Bohemians and
      Hungarians, even for ignorant Americans.

      Janet
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic