13852Re: [S-R] Bohok translation or reference

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Nov 29, 2005
      Janet, your name transition is unusual and therefore can not be applied to
      other Jenos.
      Re Bohok, this does not seem to ever have evolved into a real surname. Not
      in the phone book and neither in my surname collection.
      It is just a simple alias as many others.
      As far as I know, nicknames were not included in military records.
      The priest, who wrote down the nicknames was closed to and more intimate
      with the families . Therefore he may have written that. Also for his own
      orientation, if there were several with the same name there. The authority
      always operated with names, birth dates, places of birth and maybe father's
      name.
      Although an alias can be very helpful in genealogical research, it's general
      importance is sometimes overestimated.
      Also a translation of a surname is something without much sense. Where we,
      Slovaks, would have come, if we would translate american surnames? Most
      american surnames sound so respectful, but an Betka Krajcirova would be
      simply laughable. The same with Juraj Krik.
      I wonder, who will laugh first here :-)
      Vladimir