13846RE: [S-R] Need translation or reference

  • Janet Kozlay
    Nov 28, 2005
      From your description it sounds like it was an alternative first name. The
      military record for the person I am researching lists "Jenő (János, Ödön),"
      which were other names by which he was known.

      The Hungarian word bohóc means clown or fool, but I wouldn't dare to guess
      if this word is related.

      Janet

      -----Original Message-----
      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Carl Kotlarchik
      Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 3:07 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [S-R] Need translation or reference

      I have come across a strange word in a 1896 military passport document
      for which I cannot find a reference. Does anyone know what the term
      "Bohok" might mean? The word is in parenthesis between the first and
      last names of the individual. There is an accent mark on the
      second "o". Perhaps it was a nickname? It is used everytime the
      individual's name appears in the document but I have not found the
      term in any of the other records for this individual. I also have not
      been able to find the term in either a Hungarian or a Slovak
      dictionary.

      Carl Kotlarchik

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic