      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Caye Caswick
      Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 1:00 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [S-R] Partial village name search

      Bill, if you mail me that book/list (or get it to
      Pittsburgh for Slovak Heritage Fest) I'll scan it into
      Word for you -- might not be able to proofread 100%
      all of them -- but I'll do my best if that is any
      help.

      I've got scanning software/Optical Character
      Recognition software here at the office we use for
      text (.pdf-to-.doc/Adobe-to-Word).

      I'd put it into a Word Table -- which is sortable --
      so probably want columns for County/Village-or-Town
      Name -- you could also add area code if that would
      help or any other deliminators.

      Caye

      > I know, Frank (I have the book). That's the
      > problem. I want a digitzed
      > list so I can let the computer do the walking
      > instead of my fingers.
      > Pawing through 300 pages everytime someone asks
      > about a misspelled village
      > name just doesn't work for me any more. It's taking
      > a toll on my eyes.
      > Besides, being in the computer biz, I know full
      > well, this is a much
      > easier job for a computer!
      > Thanks for the thought.
      > bill
      >

      > > Bill,
      > >
      > > There is such a list in analogue form in Na'zvy
      > Obci' Slovanskej Republiky
      > > (Vy'vin v rokoch 1773-1997) veda Vydavatel'stvo
      > Slovenskej Akade'mie Vied,
      > > Bratislava 1998.
      > >
      > > The list is 243 pages single spaced with
      > approximately 22,356 entries.
      > >
      > > Frank R. Plichta
      > > Galax, Virginia

      Yahoo! Groups Links