13268Re: [S-R] Partial village name search

  • Caye Caswick
    Oct 11, 2005
      Now, that is a fabulous idea -- and completely would
      work -- wonder if Helene Cincebeaux has something with
      most of those 2,500?

      Even if you had a majority -- you could add the
      stragglers as you discovered them.

      Good luck, and thanks for all you do, you really
      inspire the rest of us.

      Caye

      > Thanks for the thought.
      >
      > Shtetlseeker doesn't do what I want. For example, I
      > want all villages
      > with the ending "linca". Daitch-Motkoff doesn't
      > work.
      >
      > If I could get a raw list of all 2,500 village names
      > in Slovakia, I could
      > pop it into a word processor and search on a text
      > string. That would
      > work.
      >
      > Bill
      >

      > > Bill, Jewish Gen Shtetl Seeker does a pretty good
      > job
      > > of that -- goes by sounds-like -- even if you
      > misspell
      > > the word (or don't complete the ending).
      > >
      > > Now if you only have the first few letters, I'm
      > > guessing the hits will probably be intimidating --
      > but
      > > still worth a shot.
      > >

      > > Caye
      > >

      > > --- Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > >> Partial village name search
      > >>

      > >> I am looking for an online tool that allows you
      > >> search for a contemporary
      > >> village in Slovakia based on a fragment of the
      > >> village name. I could have
      > >> sworn I'd found a facility for doing it, but I'm
      > at
      > >> a loss right now.
      > >>
      > >> Thanks,!

      > >> removed]