12420Re: Borova and Budmerice, SLOVAKIA

  • kddid_1999
    Jul 4, 2005
      THANK YOU so much "johnqadam" for your reply and information to my
      query. I have learned much from the information you gave me here,
      and appreciate it so. As I said I am a beginner on my search and
      quest, and have much to learn, I am thrilled with what you have
      told me here, again thank you very much,.... kddid

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@r...>
      wrote:
      > 1) Let's get our basics straight. Borova, a small village due west
      > of Trnava? Agreed? Current country is Slovakia. This ancestry is
      NOT
      > Czech but Slovak.
      >
      > 2) Budmerice is 4 km southwest across the fields from Borova.
      >
      > 3) Both villages were in the former Pozsony Megye = county.
      >
      > 4) 1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
      > The old Hungarian map can be found at:
      > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/pozsony.jpg
      >
      > Budmerice was called Gidrafa, two villages west of NAGYSZOMBAT.
      > Borova was called Fenyves. Look in the yellow map area to locate
      the
      > old villages.
      >
      > SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics
      program.
      > CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
      > get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you
      > will likely find in church records.
      >
      > 6) You need to specify the religion as old records were kept by
      the
      > relevant church.
      >
      > 2) Though church records exist in Slovak archives, LDS has filmed
      > but not yet indexed and released these (western Slovakia) records
      on
      > film. Someday.
      >
      > FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
      > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil
      > registration. Provides details of church records that are held in
      > Slovak archives. Index is on fiche #6 and page references refer
      > different religions. Most of these church records are available on
      > film via your LDS Family History Center.
      > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
      >
      > 7) If you don't want to wait for LDS to release the church records
      > and you want to PAY for archival research:
      >
      > WRITING TO ARCHIVES
      > For Czech and Slovak research letter writing help, go to:
      > www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
      > Click on SEARCH
      > Click on RESEARCH HELPS
      > Click on the letter "C"
      > Scroll to the bottom of the page
      > Select and print PDF document Czech and Slovak Letter-writing
      Guide
      > Also select and print PDF document Czech Word List
      >
      > Happy hunting.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic