12289Re: [S-R] Travel In Slovakia

  • amiak27
    Jun 6, 2005
      Dorene,

      I have traveled by train and auto and a bit by bus in Slovakia. The
      second class cars tend to get crowded on busy days or times, while I
      suppose the first class are quite a bit less crowded at about 50%
      more fare. The difference I see is in the upolstery being thicker
      and cloth instead of plastic. In first class you will not have the
      opportunity to rub elbows with workers and regular businessmen as
      you will in second class.

      From your repeated concerns I would recommend first class. For the
      difference between $10 and $15 for a ticket your comfort and peace
      of mind is worth it. I recommend you pay a bit extra for a seat
      reservation and then follow up by getting on the right train car,
      compartment and seat.

      If you ever do decide to get a bit adventurous you can always buy a
      second class ticket the next time! One of the worst things I did to
      my mother was answer her question about "how much baggage." My
      answer was "not more than you can carry", as on that trip I could
      anticipate I might not be there to carry it for her. The trip and
      baggage and adventure worked quite well. Oh, and I was there to
      carry her bigger bag because mine were even smaller.

      Ron

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "D. Radmacher"
      <dradmacher@s...> wrote:
      > Dear John: one of the women who is traveling with us has heard
      that second-class train travel is very uncomfortable. Can you
      please tell me, what exactly is the difference between first and
      second class train travel? Do they bring animals on second class
      like she was told?

      > Dorene

      03/06/05