      From: John Venham
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 5:44 AM
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Travel In Slovakia

      Hello

      I've traveled extensively in the Czech Republic and
      Slovakia.
      I'd suggest that you always travel by an 'Intercity'
      train for long distances such as to Krakow. Also, you
      should be rather comfortable in second class. Be
      aware that ticket prices are broken down into two
      parts: the train ticket and seat reservation.

      On some trains, there may be extra fees....that you
      won't find out about until you're on the train and the
      ticket check comes by. I could never figure out if it
      was a scam or legitimate. The upside is this was very
      rare; and never more than a couple dollars. But it
      did happen on my trip from Krakow to Prague.

      Good Luck!

      John

      --- James McGrath <jamesfrankmcgrath@...> wrote:

      > I don't have experience travelling in Slovakia yet
      > (I
      > hope to remedy that soon), but elsewhere in Central
      > and Eastern Europe I can definitely say that it is
      > less expensive to buy your tickets there (you will
      > need to check whether this can be done on the train,
      > and you'll presumably need some language ability to
      > do
      > this too). Those who know the language and are savvy
      > will buy a ticket only as far as the first stop in
      > the
      > next country if travelling from Austria, and then
      > pay
      > a cheaper price in Slovakia, Hungary, or wherever
      > (does anyone know if you can still do this? It has
      > been a few years since I made this sort of trip).
      > First class can be significantly more comfortable,
      > although it only really makes a difference if the
      > train is crowded - which they often are.
      >
      > Hope this helps,
      >
      > James
      >
      > --- "D. Radmacher" <dradmacher@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hello Everyone . . . I and two lady friends are
      > > traveling to Slovakia in September this year and
      > > would like some advice on travel. We have heard
      > > that it is much better to travel by first class
      > > train than by economy class. Is this true? We
      > > travelled economy in Switzerland and it was just
      > > fine but wonder if there is a difference in
      > > Slovakia.
      > >
      > > Also, should we busy a rail pass before we leave
      > > Canada or wait until we get there? We are landing
      > > in Prague and traveling from there and plan to go
      > > Kracow, Poland as well as Austria.
      > >
      > > Dorene

      > protection around
      > http://mail.yahoo.com