12269Re: [S-R] Katarzyna Wrobel

  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
    Jun 2, 2005
      Just a followup: I found a map that confirms that this Sloboda
      and Cieplice (spelled Teplyci in Ukrainian) just east of Lezajsk
      were majority Ukrainian villages. Just before WW2, Sloboda had a
      Ukrainian population of 410 out of 440 residents, and Teplyci had
      2680 out of 3630.

      Joe

      > "Katarzyna Wrobel" is a Polish spelling (Catherine Sparrow), as that
      > part of Ukraine was under Polish rule for a long time, then under
      > Austrian rule. "W" in Polish is pronounced like "v", and the "o" in
      > Wrobel has an accent over it, making it pronounced the same as "u", so
      > that accounts for the other spellings of Wrubel (probably a German
      > spelling) and Vrubel (English spelling).
      >
      > Unfortunately there are several villages called Sloboda that were in
      > Ukrainian Galicia, so more info would be needed to track down the
      > right one. But on the Ellis Island Manifest, the entries above and
      > below Katarzyna refer to other Ruthenians coming from Sloboda and
      > Cieplice. They might have travelled together, which would mean those
      > villages should be near each other.
      >
      > And in fact in SE Poland, just east of Lezajsk, there are two villages
      > Sloboda and Cieplice right near each other. But I'm not sure whether
      > those villages were Ukrainian/Ruthenian, maybe someone on the list
      > would know exactly how far to the west the Ukrainian population
      > extended from the Polish/Ukrainian border there. Also, there might be
      > villages in Ukraine called Sloboda and Cieplice (prob spelled
      > something like Teplyce) near each other.
      >
      > Joe

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic