12168Re: [S-R] Ancestral village help

  • amiak27
    May 17, 2005
      Kris,

      On its own, knowing for sure your grandfather was a Zipser Saxon is
      NOT enough to be sure his family originated in Saxony! The name was
      generic and applied to most all of the Zipsers who came from the
      Germanic lands. I suggest you look more deeply into the history of
      the German migrations and you will see they came from different
      areas of the Germanic states, including Switzerland and Austria.

      To narrow down the area where they might have come from you might do
      a search in Germany and see where the family name is common today.
      That will give you another indication of areas to look in with
      future research.
      To some Swiss all Germans are Schwaben, to some Hessians all north
      Germans are Preuss (pronounced Price). This has gone on for
      centuries ...

      Ron

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, krisstrot@a... wrote:
      > Beverly,
      > Is it possible that this is a county instead of a village? My
      grandfather referred to himself as a Zipser Saxon, which I have come
      to understand means that he was born and raised in the Szepes
      ("Zips") area of Slovakia and his ancestors originated in the Saxony
      region of Germany. And the spelling on Ellis Island is only as good
      as the person who wrote down the information in the manifest in the
      first place. It's interesting reading through some of those records
      even when you KNOW where the person was from. Most of the manifest
      entries for the people I am researching list them as being from
      Hungary, even though at that time it was technically Austro-Hungary,
      but actually, now, Slovakia. Some records even show them as being
      from Austria!! Back to the original question, it is not a hard
      stretch to imagine Zamba was someone's version of Zemplin, which is
      definitely Slovakia. I'm just guessing, but sometimes stretching
      beyond the obvious can open leads for us that we didn't think
      existed. Good luck!

      ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      > Behalf Of famryd@a...
      > Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 11:47 AM
      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [S-R] Ancestral village help
      >
      > Hi,
      >
      > I am new to this group. This is my first posting. I was
      wondering if any
      > of you could help me with finding out about my ggrandmother's
      village. I
      > found
      > her on the Ellis Island site with her name spelled wrong. It is
      Valencik
      > but
      > was spelled Valenczik.She came here 12/26/1892 from Bremen and
      Southampton
      > with 2 children. The last place of residence was Zamba. They are
      Iisted as