      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Frank
      Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2005 10:53 AM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [S-R] Re: "ova" ending on female names

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, bemimitwo@a... wrote:
      > Thanks Frank,
      > You just answered many questions for me!
      > Now any thoughts why i see names like waculik would change to
      vaculik?
      > I have seen w change to v before, was there a reason?
      > Do you think pavlik and pawlik are the same name?
      > THANKS JENNIFER

      Jennifer

      In Hungarian and most Slavic languages the letters q, w, x were used
      only in foreign words.
      The letter "v" pron. v was used.
      water = voda pron. voda
      Although Polish is a Slavic language the letter "w" is pron. as v. water =
      woda pron. voda While in German the letter "w" pron. v is used. water =
      wasser pron. vasser In German the letter "v" is mostly pron. f. father =
      vater pron. fahter

      In Slovakia the surname is spelled Vaculík and Vaculíková (fem.gender)

      However online Ellis Island Records (EIR) 26 surnames Vaculik and
      only 1 surname Waculik.
      As for ethnicity the majority of the surnames Vaculik were from
      Czech-Bohemia rather than from Hungary (Slovakia)

      The obligatory change of gender in Czech/Slovak for female surnames
      expressed through the ending -ová is interesting. The feminine surname affix
      -ova etymologically expresses possession - the status of the woman as
      belonging to her father or husband.

      July 7, 1993
      The National Council in Slovakia approved legislation allowing the use of
      foreign first names and surnames and allowing women to drop the Slavic
      suffix "-ova" from their surnames.

      And Czech women are also taking up a government offer to have the
      suffix'ova' removed from their surnames.
      If many take advantage of the change it would undo a linguistic tradition
      going back to the earliest roots of the Slav language.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Slavic

      Under the new law, women only have the option to drop the suffix when they
      get married and adopt their husband's name. They also have to tell the
      government they do not consider themselves
      to be of Czech nationality - but are under no obligation to provide
      evidence of why.

      The Prague Post reports the change is creating administrative
      problems.
      It quotes an unnamed Prague City Hall official saying: "It's been a complete
      mess here. Of course they ask for it because a lot of them
      want to go abroad. Others just want it that way."

      Newlywed Bohdana Kozusnikova became one of the first to drop the 'ova' when
      she signed her marriage certificate. She chose to become Bohdana Doig
      instead of the conventional Bohdana Doigova. The couple plan to move to the
      US and feel the last name will make
      life easier to have the same name. She said: "I picked Doig because
      it'll be cool for the kids when we have them."

      The Praha telephone directory lists 3 surnames Kozusnikova and 7 surnames
      Kozusnik.

      Frank K

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic