      From: Bohdana Badzio [mailto:bbadzio@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 6:15 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [S-R] Re: 1600-1700s Hung Census &Gazetteer Available Online

      Bill,

      thank you for the explanations. I greatly appreciate your time and
      effort.

      I see how you work with the village search. I tried my villages (in
      the Transcarpathia, incidentally), and they were there, both in the
      1715 census and in some earlier ones. The surname search worked as
      well (I found that the search is sensitive to the diacritical marks,
      but it accepts the * as a wild-cart!).

      What I initially hoped to do was to browse through the 17th-century
      censuses the same way it is possible to do with the 1715 census. But
      I think they must be incorporated into "Urbaria et Conscriptiones",
      and are not browsable.

      These are wonderful resources (let's hope they stay freely available
      for quite some time). Before today, the earliest record for my area
      was the 1775 Urbarium, available on FHL microfilms.

      Bohdana

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Bill Tarkulich
      <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:
      > I'll try to give you a little guidance, maybe others can pitch in.
      I'm pretty busy this week, I put it together over the weekend, but
      I'll do what I can.

      > I've learned how to use it mostly by banging around at it. The
      Magyar language doesn't hinder much - there are really not many
      instructions anyways.

      > A couple of notes:
      > 1. Searching for surnames is probably not a good use of your time,
      though you are welcome to. The spelling variations are many, and
      misspellings are legend. You are better off, as I always say,
      finding your village.

      > 2. Transcription errors are in this database, just as they are in
      ellis island records. "Zboj" is transcribed as "Zboy"
      and "Sboy", "Ubla" is written as "Ublia" and so on.

      > 3. Remember, the village name in use in the year of the Census is
      the most important one. Some villages have several name variations.
      Some effort has been made to show the Magyar name and some other
      variations.

      > 4. There may have been significantly different surnames living in a
      village in the 1600s versus the 1700s and later. There was
      substantial migration in the late 1700s. I have never seen my
      surname in my village before the late 1700s. In fact, I've never
      seen it anywhere in Hungary. This leads me to conclude that my
      ancestors migrated here about that time from lands far off.

      > 5. If you want to search on Urbarial census only, you'd need to
      select "Urbariumok" from the dropdown, then use its customized search
      screen. I've not done it. If you do, please post instructions for
      everyone to benefit from. So, I can't help you with that one. Read
      on.

      > HOWEVER I think it's easier to just do a global search on all
      records. This will reveal the urbarial records. The number of
      hits for each village is fairly small, unless the village name is
      common. Remember, a global search can contain multiple words,
      separate by spaces. You can search on any words found in the
      transcription. For example, "Zboj 1631" is a valid search.

      > So, how do you find the Ubarial Census? Just use the global
      search. Let me give you one example, that's all I have time to do
      for now. We will search for my village, ZBOJ:

      > 1. At http://www.arcanum.hu/mol/ enter "zboj" into the top left
      search box, press "Mehet!"
      > 2. You will see two entries in the right bottom panel.
      > 3. First entry: Urbaria et Conscriptiones/REGESTRATA/UC 156/UC
      156 : 1 Click on it. The top right panel will display a
      TRANSCRIPTION of this census record. Scroll to the top of this top
      right panel. (1631) is a 1631 Urbarial census and "(1755. március
      11.)" is when the entry was re-written. Notice that the year is no
      where in the clickable title. They used their own urbarial
      cataloging system, which I do not have time to decode. You'll see
      this entry is all in Latin. This is transcribed – which means that
      someone read the handwritten original and typed it into the computer
      database. Beware of typing/reading errors. Notes:
      > a. There is no document/page image associated with this record.
      ONLY the transcription is present.
      > b. There are often multiple Urbarial records for each village.
      Each one will have its own clickable entry.
      > 4. Second entry: Az 1715. évi országos összeírás/Zemplén
      � 12. TÉKA/Zboy . Notice it has its own high-level entry and
      "1715" is prominent, unlike the other census. Click on it. You
      will see a transcription

      > Zboy, Harczos, Harcos, Zemplén, Zboj, SK
      > Vásárhely: Homonna
      > Adózók neve: Joannes Hubak; Joannes Dunascsák; Ignatius Chiruski;
      Szrucha Pelecha; Michael Szúk; Mathias Labó; Paulus Klekulo; Mathias
      Szopko; Hripics Szuk
      > Oldalszám: 148, 149, 344,
      >
      > This is a listing of the village and it's name variations (Zboy,
      Harczos, Harcos, Zemplén, Zboj), SK = Slovakia

      > Vásárhely: Homonna = contained in the Humenne Estate
      > Adózók neve: Joannes Hubak; Joannes Dunascsák; Ignatius Chiruski;
      Szrucha Pelecha; Michael Szúk; Mathias Labó; Paulus Klekulo; Mathias
      Szopko; Hripics Szuk = Property holder names. These have been
      transcribed. Watchout for misspellings/transcriptions! Check
      agains the original scanned pages (below)
      > "Oldalszám: 148, 149, 344," are links to the actual census page
      scanned images. In this case, there are three page images. Click on
      each one, which opens a separate image window.
      > Hope this helps,
      > Bill
      >

      > > From: "Bohdana Badzio" <bbadzio@l...>
      > > Date: 2005/03/01 Tue PM 02:19:45 EST
      > > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > > Subject: [S-R] Re: 1600-1700s Hung Census &Gazetteer Available
      Online

      > > Bill,
      > >
      > > In your instructions, I see the explanation of the 1715 Census.
      > > However, your section on the 1623, 1631, and 1691 Urbarium census
      > > talks about the 1715 Census too. I don't see any references to
      those
      > > early censuses on the Arcanum site either (not that I can
      understand,
      > > at least).
      > >
      > > Could you explain please?
      > >
      > > Thank you,
      > >
      > > Bohdana
      > >

      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich"
      > > <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:
      > > > Great news! Several 17th and 18th Century Magyar Census
      images
      > > and/or
      > > > transcriptions are now available online. Also online is the
      > > important
      > > > Dvsorszak Gazetteer. Admittedly, they are not of much
      genealogical
      > > value,
      > > > but they are important insights into the development of the
      area.
      > > These
      > > > census cover all of the "old Hungary", which means not only
      present-
      > > day
      > > > Slovakia, but also Ukraine, Hungary, Romania, etc.
      > > >
      > > > Shown below are the highlights and links to web pages I have
      > > developed to
      > > > help initiate you on their usage.
      > > >
      > > > • Gazetteers
      > > > • Dvorzsák Gazetteer - Based on the 1877 Census, scans of the
      > > actual
      > > > pages of this Ecclesiastical Gazetteer are now available online
      at
      > > no fee.
      > > > Useful in determining where a villager of a particular faith
      may
      > > have
      > > > attended church. An interesting compliment to Auslander's
      newly-
      > > published
      > > > "Genealogical Gazetteer of the Kingdom of Hungary".
      > > > • The 1715 Census is now available online at no fee via
      Arcanum -
      > > These are
      > > > actual scans of all the individual pages and transcriptions of
      the
      > > original
      > > > census document. The transcriptions are computer-searchable.
      > > Thanks to
      > > > Peter Nagy for the "heads up." This may be a limited time
      offer!
      > > > • 1623, 1631, 1691 Ubarial Census transcriptions are also
      online
      > > available
      > > > at no fee via Arcanum. These are transcriptions ONLY. The
      > > transcriptions
      > > > are computer-searchable. This may be also be a limited time
      offer!

      > > > I would very much like to hear how they work for you. Happy
      > > Hunting!
      > > > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/index.htm#new

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Yahoo! Groups Links