11693Re: [S-R] Re: 1600-1700s Hung Census &Gazetteer Available Online

    Mar 1, 2005
      I'll try to give you a little guidance, maybe others can pitch in. I'm pretty busy this week, I put it together over the weekend, but I'll do what I can.

      I've learned how to use it mostly by banging around at it. The Magyar language doesn't hinder much - there are really not many instructions anyways.

      A couple of notes:
      1. Searching for surnames is probably not a good use of your time, though you are welcome to. The spelling variations are many, and misspellings are legend. You are better off, as I always say, finding your village.

      2. Transcription errors are in this database, just as they are in ellis island records. "Zboj" is transcribed as "Zboy" and "Sboy", "Ubla" is written as "Ublia" and so on.

      3. Remember, the village name in use in the year of the Census is the most important one. Some villages have several name variations. Some effort has been made to show the Magyar name and some other variations.

      4. There may have been significantly different surnames living in a village in the 1600s versus the 1700s and later. There was substantial migration in the late 1700s. I have never seen my surname in my village before the late 1700s. In fact, I've never seen it anywhere in Hungary. This leads me to conclude that my ancestors migrated here about that time from lands far off.

      5. If you want to search on Urbarial census only, you’d need to select “Urbariumok” from the dropdown, then use its customized search screen. I’ve not done it. If you do, please post instructions for everyone to benefit from. So, I can't help you with that one. Read on.

      HOWEVER I think it’s easier to just do a global search on all records. This will reveal the urbarial records. The number of hits for each village is fairly small, unless the village name is common. Remember, a global search can contain multiple words, separate by spaces. You can search on any words found in the transcription. For example, “Zboj 1631” is a valid search.

      So, how do you find the Ubarial Census? Just use the global search. Let me give you one example, that’s all I have time to do for now. We will search for my village, ZBOJ:

      1. At http://www.arcanum.hu/mol/ enter “zboj” into the top left search box, press “Mehet!”
      2. You will see two entries in the right bottom panel.
      3. First entry: Urbaria et Conscriptiones/REGESTRATA/UC 156/UC 156 : 1 Click on it. The top right panel will display a TRANSCRIPTION of this census record. Scroll to the top of this top right panel. (1631) is a 1631 Urbarial census and “(1755. március 11.)” is when the entry was re-written. Notice that the year is no where in the clickable title. They used their own urbarial cataloging system, which I do not have time to decode. You’ll see this entry is all in Latin. This is transcribed – which means that someone read the handwritten original and typed it into the computer database. Beware of typing/reading errors. Notes:
      a. There is no document/page image associated with this record. ONLY the transcription is present.
      b. There are often multiple Urbarial records for each village. Each one will have its own clickable entry.
      4. Second entry: Az 1715. évi országos összeírás/Zemplén � 12. TÉKA/Zboy . Notice it has its own high-level entry and “1715” is prominent, unlike the other census. Click on it. You will see a transcription

      Zboy, Harczos, Harcos, Zemplén, Zboj, SK
      Vásárhely: Homonna
      Adózók neve: Joannes Hubak; Joannes Dunascsák; Ignatius Chiruski; Szrucha Pelecha; Michael Szúk; Mathias Labó; Paulus Klekulo; Mathias Szopko; Hripics Szuk
      Oldalszám: 148, 149, 344,

      This is a listing of the village and it’s name variations (Zboy, Harczos, Harcos, Zemplén, Zboj), SK = Slovakia

      Vásárhely: Homonna = contained in the Humenne Estate
      Adózók neve: Joannes Hubak; Joannes Dunascsák; Ignatius Chiruski; Szrucha Pelecha; Michael Szúk; Mathias Labó; Paulus Klekulo; Mathias Szopko; Hripics Szuk = Property holder names. These have been transcribed. Watchout for misspellings/transcriptions! Check agains the original scanned pages (below)
      “Oldalszám: 148, 149, 344,” are links to the actual census page scanned images. In this case, there are three page images. Click on each one, which opens a separate image window.
      Hope this helps,
      Bill

      > From: "Bohdana Badzio" <bbadzio@...>
      > Date: 2005/03/01 Tue PM 02:19:45 EST
      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [S-R] Re: 1600-1700s Hung Census &Gazetteer Available Online
      >

      > Bill,
      >
      > In your instructions, I see the explanation of the 1715 Census.
      > However, your section on the 1623, 1631, and 1691 Urbarium census
      > talks about the 1715 Census too. I don't see any references to those
      > early censuses on the Arcanum site either (not that I can understand,
      > at least).
      >
      > Could you explain please?
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > Bohdana

      > <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:
      > > Great news! Several 17th and 18th Century Magyar Census images
      > and/or
      > > transcriptions are now available online. Also online is the
      > important
      > > Dvsorszak Gazetteer. Admittedly, they are not of much genealogical
      > value,
      > > but they are important insights into the development of the area.
      > These
      > > census cover all of the "old Hungary", which means not only present-
      > day
      > > Slovakia, but also Ukraine, Hungary, Romania, etc.
      > >
      > > Shown below are the highlights and links to web pages I have
      > developed to
      > > help initiate you on their usage.
      > >
      > > • Gazetteers
      > > • Dvorzsák Gazetteer - Based on the 1877 Census, scans of the
      > actual
      > > pages of this Ecclesiastical Gazetteer are now available online at
      > no fee.
      > > Useful in determining where a villager of a particular faith may
      > have
      > > attended church. An interesting compliment to Auslander's newly-
      > published
      > > "Genealogical Gazetteer of the Kingdom of Hungary".
      > > • The 1715 Census is now available online at no fee via Arcanum -
      > These are
      > > actual scans of all the individual pages and transcriptions of the
      > original
      > > census document. The transcriptions are computer-searchable.
      > Thanks to
      > > Peter Nagy for the "heads up." This may be a limited time offer!
      > > • 1623, 1631, 1691 Ubarial Census transcriptions are also online
      > available
      > > at no fee via Arcanum. These are transcriptions ONLY. The
      > transcriptions
      > > are computer-searchable. This may be also be a limited time offer!
      > >
      > > I would very much like to hear how they work for you. Happy
      > Hunting!
      > > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/index.htm#new

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic