11584RE: [S-R] Given Names

  • bbadzio@look.ca
    Feb 11, 2005
      Gary,

      the first name should read PARASCEVA. It is an Eastern Slavic name, which
      used to be much more popular than it is now (at least, in Ukraine). It
      originates from a Greek word which means "the day before Sabbath".

      Glaxa, perhaps, is short for GLYKERIA, from Greek for sweet. I have not
      verified this one yet.

      Regards,

      Bohdana

      > PARASCERA BERECZKY was baptized 7NOV1824 in Kruzlov, Saros County
      >

      > GLAXA HORVATH was baptized 27JUN1801 in Pikfalva (Pikovce), Szepes County.
      > The family was Noble. Her father was P.D. Sigismundus Horvath
      >
      > Both records appear to be written in Latin.
      >

      > Gary Costel
      >
      > Researching the following (Slovakia) surnames: Bakajsa, Bereczky, Bockaj,
      > Chwerchak, Cossel, Costel, Hacala, Hanchak, Horvath, Jurkiv, Kalman,
      > Kascsak, Katrinak, Lahvardi, Murajda, Ondik, Ondike, Petrik, Ribar,
      > Stefancin, Yurkiv
      >

      > _____

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic