11274Re: [S-R] Re: Poprad area (German settlement)

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Dec 6, 2004
      In a message dated 12/5/04 11:51:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      WHew536674@... writes:

      > had magyarized the name to Kristoffy. I would love to know
      > why

      my aunt, born 1915 in the United States of immigrant parents, would define
      herself as Slovak, yet her cousin, born in Slovakia and coming to the States in
      1951, would define himself as Hungarian. he said that to be Hungarian was
      to be of better heritage. their fathers were brothers and their mothers came
      from the exact same village.
      my brother, growing up, would tell everyone that our family was German. I
      told everyone that we are Polish and Slovak. we had the exact same parents. he
      got his story from our father. i got my story from my mother.
      Noreen