10724Re: Re: [S-R] "Honestus"

    Sep 9, 2004
      New Advent, a reproduction of an official Catholic tome of 1906 is a useful reference guide when we are exploring Roman and Greek Catholicism at the turn of the century.

      It weighs in as follows.
      On Illegitimacy:
      "As generally defined, and as understood in this article, illegitimacy denotes the condition of children born out of wedlock. It should be noted, however, that, according to the Roman law and the canon law, an illegitimate child becomes legitimate by the subsequent marriage of its parents. This legal provision has been adopted by many European countries..."
      source: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07650a.htm

      On Ecclesiastical Abbreviations:

      V.H. -- Vir Honestus ("A Worthy Man")
      source: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01022a.htm

      On Parochial Registers:
      "a pastor must have five distinct parish registers: one each of baptisms, confirmations, marriages, and deaths; and a fifth containing a census or general account of the state of souls in the parish. "
      http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12721b.htm

      Clearly these rules were not followed in their entirity. The Roman Catholic Church was fairly rigorous, the GC was not. Certainly with the Uniate agreements of the 1500s, the GC were allowed to differently maintain their orthodox liturgical customs. I suspect recordkeeping also followed a similar path.

      Local customs and laws varied widely and thus did recordkeeping. Just as it is today with many Catholics not following the prescribed dogma. Such is life.

      A worthy reference to bookmark. Happy reading!
      Regards,
      Bill Tarkulich

      > From: "Andrea Vangor" <drav@...>
      > Date: 2004/09/09 Thu PM 04:13:38 EDT
      > To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: Re: [S-R] "Honestus"
      >
      > My idea of consensus is one based on real facts, so this nails it, Vladimir.
      > Thanks! I wonder now what term would apply to an illegitimate person being
      > married. Which leads to another question. Given that some babies born out
      > of wedlock were adopted in some fashion when their parents were married,
      > taking their father's name whether or not he was the birth parent, would
      > that individual be described later as legitimate?

    • Show all 37 messages in this topic