10647Re: Surname help

  • Bohdana Badzio
    Aug 9, 2004
      Hello Jerry,

      have you located the marriage record for Maria Bratko and Andrew
      Molchany, for example on an FHL microfilm? It should have information
      on the bride's home village, among other. If the Molchanys had lived
      in Jurske since 1800 and Maria and Andrew's son was born there, I'd
      say Jurske would be the first place to look for a marriage record.
      For Jurske, FHL has Roman Catholic church books for years 1768-1897
      and Evangelical ones for 1808 - 1906 <www.familysearch.org>.

      By the way, familysearch.org lists an International Genealogical
      Index (IGI) entry for MARY BRATKO, born 14 AUG 1883 in Zaborow
      Brzesko, Galizien Kroenlande, Austria, died 14 MAY 1954. Parents were

      A Zaborow, in the vicinity of Brzesko, may be the one found now
      about 16mi North-West of Tarnow in Poland, some 45mi North of Jurske,
      and across the current Poland-Slovakia border. In 1991, there were
      170 BRATKOs still living in the region of Tarnow, the gratest
      concentration of BRATKOs in Poland (www.herby.pl/herby/).

      This Mary would be, of course, too young to be your ggm, if the dates
      in this IGI entry are correct. On the whole, this is just a side
      note, as the accuracy of the IGI entries should not be taken for

      Bohdana Badzio

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, jwm469@w... wrote:
      > I am asking for help in deciding wher to try to look next. My
      great-grandmother Maria Bratko married my great-
      > grandfather Andrew Molchany (Molcsany/Molcanyi) around 1891shortly
      before he left for America. Their first son
      > Andrew was born in Dec 1892 in Jurske, Slovakia. (I have the
      Molcanyi family traced back to about 1800 in Jurske.)
      > I have been trying for 10+ years to find the village that my great-
      grandmother may have been from. There is no
      > information in the Ellis Island records on-line. In fact the link
      is wrong and it took me weeks to find the correct record
      > (which I have misplaced/mis-filed). I have been told that there
      were Bratko's in Bratislava. But I think that is too large a
      > city to try to find her.
      > Does anyone have any ideas where I might look? My gut tells me
      that she might have been from a village to the east.
      > There are more Molcanyis to the east of Jurske. A Nicholas
      Molchany, a Greek Catholic priest was from 'Bajer Vagas,
      > Saros". I think the Molchanys migrated west from that area, maybe
      even Svidnik and surrounds. I was once told the
      > names that end in 'ko' are most likely Rusyn. That makes me want
      to look east. Another cousin said that his relatives
      > said the Molcanyi name is Rusyn. My paternal grandmother said that
      the family was part Russian - but prbably meant
      > Rusyn.
      > I'm at a loss and any help would be appreciated.
      > Thanks,
      > Jerry
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic