10618Re: 1869 Hungarian census

  • Frank
    Aug 6, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "mlthrush" <mlthrush@a...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I just received a copy of my family's entry in the 1869 Hungarian
      > census. In the part that lists the number of rooms in the house the
      > notation is 1=1 for szoba/sleeping room as well as Kamra/pantry and
      > konyha/seperate kitchen. In the part for Other buildings the
      > notation is simply 1 for felszer/storage shed, raktar/storage,
      > akol/pen and csur/barn.
      >
      > Does anyone know what 1=1 would mean? Could this mean that there is
      > only 1 room that is used for everything, sleeping,pantry and
      > kitchen?
      >
      > Mary Lou

      ahoj

      As Bill Tarkulich asked what was your particular village ?

      Typically, the main tally sheet lists the house number and the number
      and types of rooms in the house.

      Houses were numbered 1 to xxx ? This didn't mean that the houses
      actually had a house number attached to them.

      Most houses had only 1 room (szoba); a few had 3 rooms; occasionally
      4 or 5 depending on size of village and wealth of owner.
      A few houses had a closet or storage room (kamra) in the house, and an
      entrance (eloszoba)
      Few houses had a separate kitchen (konyha).

      Other structures might have been recorded too: another storage area
      (kamra), a shed attached to the house (felszer), perhaps a shop (bolt)
      used for a business(├╝zletre) etc.

      If relevant a space for the number of stalls (istallo) for animals and
      any feed storage area (csur).

      A separate tally sheet for each house listed all of the animals that
      were owned.

      Frank K
    • Show all 34 messages in this topic