TALC meeting: Wed Aug 18 -- Bay Bridge issues

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2004
      ----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 08/16/2004 12:23 PM -----

      Transportation And Land Use Coalition (TALC)
      REGIONAL MEETING AGENDA
      Wednesday, August 18, 2004
      5:30--7:30 p.m.
      At: Sierra Club, 85 Second St., 3rd Floor (corner of Mission)
      San Francisco -- near Montgomery BART

      Pizza, sandwiches and salad served?all are invited to attend. RSVP's are
      preferred so that enough food is ordered. E-mail info@...

      OPTIONAL ORIENTATION SESSION: 5:00 to 5:30 p.m.
      This session is intended for people who are new to TALC, or who would like

      to get more familiar with TALC and our structure. We will also provide
      some
      background on the issues that will be discussed at the meeting to help
      make
      the jargon easier to understand!

      MEETING AGENDA
      1) Introductions/ Revisions to Agenda -- 5:30

      2) Announcements 5:35

      3) Transit Supportive Development Campaign 5:40
      A primary TALC campaign this year is to have MTC condition funds for
      regional transit expansion projects on supportive land use. Learn how you

      can support the campaign, help us decide what are the best three and worst

      projects in the region (near transit), and brainstorm for a good media
      release. For more info click on the Regional Transportation Plan at --
      www.transcoalition.org

      4) A Pathway across the Bay? 5:55
      Josh Hart, Of the Bay Area Bicycle Coalition, will give a PowerPoint
      presentation on the proposal to complete the shore-to-shore pathway from
      Oakland to San Francisco. The clear need to raise additional funding on
      the
      Bay Bridge replacement opens the potential for funding a
      bicycle/pedestrian/maintenance pathway on the west span of the Bay Bridge
      (the new East span will have such a pathway). Should TALC join in this
      effort, and if so how?

      5) Finally Time for Congestion Pricing? 6:20
      It is very likely that the bridge tolls will increase to cover the
      skyrocketing cost of the new bridge. Should TALC advocate for congestion
      pricing instead of a four-dollar toll? If so, what should the specific
      proposal be?

      6) Developing TALC's Priorities for the Next Three Years 6:30
      We will hand out a draft of TALC's new platform, and go over our outreach
      plan to get input during the fall.

      7) Breakout Groups 6:40
      Each of the four agenda items will have a breakout group to strategize on
      key next steps.
      a) Land Use -- helped develop a media and campaign strategy
      b) West Span Pathway -- see how you can work with the Bay Area
      Bicycle Coalition on their campaign.
      c) Congestion Pricing -- see if we can coalesce around a
      particular proposal, and how over the next two weeks we can get the
      leverage needed to get it included in state legislation.
      d) TALC Priorities - discuss different methods for getting input
      from members and other organizations, and try to finalize the strategy for

      moving forward

      8) Adjourn 7:30

      Next regional meeting. October 20, 2004 5:30 p.m.

      To suggest items for future agendas please contact Stuart Cohen at
      stuart@...

      For more information please see www.transcoalition.org or call
      510-740-3150. To suggest items for future agendas please contact Stuart
      Cohen at stuart@...

      e-mail us at info@...

      Transportation and Land Use Coalition (TALC)
      TALC is a partnership of over 90 groups working for a sustainable and
      socially just Bay Area. We envision a region with healthy, walkable
      communities that provide all residents with transportation choices and
      affordable housing. The coalition analyzes county and regional policies,
      works with community groups to develop alternatives, and coordinates
      grassroots campaigns.

      TALC List Instructions:
      You received this email because you gave TALC your email address, or
      someone forwarded this message to you.

      include your full mailing address and organization name, phone and fax
      numbers, and indicate what alert you are responding to.

      - to LIMIT to 1-2 emails per month, which includes meeting announcements
      and general newsletters, reply with "Public list only" in the subject line

      - to UNSUBSCRIBE, reply with "No E-mail" in the subject line

      - to be fully REMOVED from our database, reply with "Remove from TALC" in
      the subject line (and please let us know why).
      ct Stuart Cohen at stuart@...