Position Information Job #: 53624 Job Title: Research Analyst Description:
The duties of the Research Analyst are varied, challenging, and integral to the work of the Urban Strategies Council. Intellectual curiosity, solution-driven orientation, commitment to the organization's mission, flexibility, and creativity within the specifications of the position are assets, as is knowledge of the Oakland community.
This position requires someone with a combination of training, skills and experience in database development and management; data analysis; GIS and community participatory research. The ideal candidate will be a highly proficient research analyst with demonstrated commitment and experience in capacity building and advocacy on behalf of residents of low-income communities.
SPECIFIC DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Conduct primary and secondary research in such areas as demographics, housing, health, education, employment and economic development
- Design and implementation of research, studies and projects
- Collect, analyze and interpret administrative, survey and other data
- Conduct spatial analyses and generate maps using GIS software
- Construct and manage the Council's database
- Interpret data and prepare narrative descriptions of analyses to inform strategic discussions.
- Respond to organizational and community requests for data, analyses, maps and other information
- Work with community-based organizations and neighborhood residents in building their capacities to collect, analyze, interpret and use data and information for planning and implementation activities
- Participate in policy analysis on local, regional and national issues impacting low-income families and communities
- Work with partners to maintain and expand the online data warehouse and mapping service (www.InfoOakland.org)
- Provide research assistance to support projects of Council staff and partner organizations
- Website page creation and maintenance
- Perform other duties as required
- Bachelor's Degree in urban planning, social work, public health or related field.
- Three plus years work experience in research and data analysis
Training, Experience and Proficiency in:
- Creating and maintaining databases (Excel and Access required)
- Working with GIS software (ArcMap and ARCIMS required)
- Research methods and quantitative analysis using statistical packages (STATA, SPSS, or SAS)
- Data analysis, interpretation, report preparation and presentation
- Web page creation and maintenance
- Community participatory action research
- Oral and written communication
- Facilitation, training and research support for people without backgrounds in research (preferably in support of community planning and action)
- Working with people from diverse ethnic, linguistic economic and professional backgrounds
- Good organizational skills. Must be self-starter and be able to work as part of a team
- Bi-lingual a plus
Position Desc.: Other Position Type: Full Time City: Oakland State/Province: California Zip: 94612 Country: United States Salary: $35,000-$45,000 Post Date: 05-07-2004 Company Information Name: Urban Strategies Council URL: http://www.urbanstrategies.org How To Apply Instructions: No telephone inquiries, please. The position is open May 24. Please submit cover letter highlighting you qualifications and a resume via email. In subject line, enter the words 'Research Analyst.' Street: 672 - 13th Street City: Oakland State/Province: California Zip: 94612 Country: United States Fax: 510-893-6657 E-mail: AdminDir@...
Do you Yahoo!?
SBC Yahoo! - Internet access at a great low price.