Internship/Volunteer Opportunity: The Center for Land-Based Learning &Audubon California's Landowner Stewardship Program

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2004
      ----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 04/19/2004 09:32 AM -----

      The Center for Land-Based Learning and Audubon California's Landowner
      Stewardship Program cordially invite those of you interested in
      or interning with us to participate in a series of open house and work day
      events throughout April at our Farm and Nature Center in Winters! We've
      many of you at events over the course of the past few months, or maybe
      ve volunteered or interned with us previously. If you're interested in
      spending time outside, learning more about sustainable agriculture and
      environmental restoration, and having fun with a great group of
      people?please join us!

      We are getting ready to start an exciting internship program in late May
      have a host of projects, educational events and outreach activities for
      regular or occasional volunteers as well. Our work in sustainable
      agriculture and environmental restoration with youth, landowners and the
      public is project-based, educational and fun. We encourage you to pass
      invitation along to others you feel might be interested, or post this to a
      listserve at your workplace or school.

      The dates for the open houses are:

      Wednesdays April 14, 21 and 28
      Saturday, April 24

      All activities will take place between 10 AM and 2 PM at the Farm and
      Center at 5265 Putah Creek Road in Winters. The day will include a tour of
      the center and an orientation to our programs, a mini-workshop focusing on
      habitat restoration or sustainable agriculture, and an opportunity to meet
      and do a little work with other great folks who are interested in spending
      some time at our beautiful Farm and Nature Center.

      I will be away over the coming week (until April 12), but ask that you
      to this e-mail or leave a message at (530) 795-9569 if you are able to
      us for one or more of the above dates. Please bring your questions. You
      might also want to bring water, sunscreen, something for lunch and some
      work clothes. An internship program flyer is attached, with a sample
      curriculum. The internship program will be shaped by those interested in
      participating, and we work with volunteers based on individual interests
      both short-term and long-term projects and programs.

      I look forward to hearing from you and to seeing you out at the Farm and
      Nature Center over the coming month!

      Odin Zackman
      Director, Farm & Nature Center
      Center for Land-Based Learning
      5265 Putah Creek Road
      Winters, CA 95694
      530.795.9569 phone
      530.795.4687 fax
      odin@... <mailto:odin@...>

      The Center for Land-Based Learning
      and Audubon California's Landowner Stewardship Program
      invite you to

      at our Farm and Nature Center in Winters, CA!

      Interns specialize in environmental education, sustainable agriculture,
      habitat restoration or public outreach, but learn a wide variety of
      We ask for an 8-10 hour/week commitment as a minimum during the duration
      the internship, with proposals for special projects and university credit
      welcomed. A curriculum, designed with input from the intern group (usually
      between 4 and 12 participants), allows for interaction and learning about
      topics of interest ?- from intensive gardening and habitat restoration
      techniques to conflict resolution and working with diverse communities.
      below for a sample internship curriculum.

      The Farm and Nature Center is located on 25 acres amidst farmland adjacent
      to Putah Creek and utilizes teaching gardens, orchards, livestock areas,
      habitat improvements such as hedgerows, a tailwater pond riparian
      restoration, and owl boxes to educate and inspire youth and the public to
      make informed decisions about agricultural and natural resources. The
      for Land-Based Learning and Audubon California's Landowner Stewardship
      Program are dedicated to building knowledge and leadership on a regional
      level through education and restoration activities supporting working

      Center for Land-Based Learning/
      Audubon California Landowner Stewardship Program

      Each session is 1-2 hours in length and takes place on an afternoon when
      interns are available. Training and field trip days may be longer
      (half to full day). Open sessions are designed and/or taught by interns:
      they can involve a discussion topic of interest, a guest speaker, or a
      presentation on a project area.

      Week of
      APRIL 26 Welcome and Introductions; Farm and Nature Center
      Tour; Outlining
      Project Areas/Specialties (Staff)

      MAY 3 Wildlife-Friendly Farming: An Overview

      MAY 10 Educating Youth and the Public: Outreach and Teaching

      MAY 17 Habitat Restoration and Exploration (Staff/Field Trip)

      MAY 24 Permaculture Fundamentals and Ecological Landscape Design

      MAY 31 Open Session

      JUNE 7 Sustainable Agriculture in California (Guest Speaker)

      JUNE 14 Water in the Landscape (Staff)

      JUNE 21 Soil Science Simplified: Compost and Organic Fertilizers

      JUNE 28 Diversity Training (Staff/Guest Trainer)

      JULY 5 Working with Diverse Communities

      JULY 12 Cultivating Biodiversity on Farms and Ranches

      JULY 19 Open Session

      JULY 26 Creating and Sustaining Dialogue

      AUG 2 Propagation and Greenhouse Management

      AUG 9 Native Plants: Propagation,
      Identification and Culture (Staff)

      AUG 16 Open Session

      AUG 23 Conflict Resolution Training

      AUG 30 Careers in Agriculture, the Environment and Public

      SEP 6 Celebration and Closing

      Additional Farm and Nature Center events and workshops may serve as
      learning opportunities.