Join us -- TALC meeting Wed April 21

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16 1:19 PM
      ----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 04/16/2004 01:17 PM -----

      Stuart Cohen <stuart@...>
      04/16/2004 11:16 AM

      To: Sustainable transportation advocates <stuart@...>
      cc:
      Subject: Join us -- TALC meeting Wed April 21

      Transportation And Land Use Coalition (TALC)

      1) TALC REGIONAL MEETING:
      Wednesday, April 21, 5:30 7:30 p.m. in SF.
      This will be the first meeting where there is an optional orientation for
      new folks from 5 -- 5:30 p.m.. During the final hour of the meeting, we
      will break up into four working groups that will help develop strategies
      on
      each of our main campaigns.
      · Strategic Plan and Campaign Development
      · RTP Land Use Campaign
      · Defending the Regional Bicycle and Pedestrian Program
      · South Bay Save Our Transit Campaign
      Please Join Us!

      REGIONAL MEETING AGENDA
      Wednesday, April 21, 5:30 7:30 p.m.
      Sierra Club, 85 Second St., 3rd Floor
      San Francisco (corner of Mission, near Montgomery BART)

      Pizza, sandwiches and salad served?all are invited to attend!!

      ORIENTATION SESSION5:00 to 5:30 p.m.
      This session is intended for people who are new to TALC, or who would like

      to get more familiar with TALC and our structure. We will also provide a
      little bit of background on the issues that will be discussed at the
      meeting to help make the jargon easier to understand!

      Agenda
      1) Introductions/revisions to agenda 5:30 p.m.

      2) Celebrate! Pop a cork with us as we celebrate the passage of
      Regional Measure 2, which will provide over $100 million per year for
      transit.

      3) Regional bicycle pedestrian program at risk (5 minutes)
      Much of the newly-won funding for the regional bicycle
      plan is at risk from counties, led by Alameda County, that contend there
      is
      already sufficient funding being provided. We need people to contact MTC
      or
      come to MTC's commission meeting on Wednesday, April 28.

      4) Campaign updates
      a) South Bay save our transit campaign (5 minutes)
      Update on VTA's shenanigans and take budgets. Help spread

      the word about the May 6 rally
      to stop VTA's unjust fare hikes. Download flyers and get
      more info http://www.transcoalition.org/c/sus_vta/vta.html
      b) Contra Costa County update (3 minutes)
      A supportable compromise between environmental, labor, and business groups

      unravels as CCTA staff proposes to decimate many of the best programs. For

      more info: http://www.transcoalition.org/c/sus_msrc/msrc.html

      c) San Mateo sales tax (3 minutes)
      San Mateo County Transportation Authority adopts a 25-year
      expenditure plan, TALC groups have
      Mixed reactions (which means TALC will likely remain neutral) see

      the expenditure plan at:
      http://www.smcta.com/whatsnew/board_adoption.html

      5) Strategic plan and campaign development (15 minutes)
      Presented by Dick Schneider TALC Board member (Sierra Club)
      The TALC Board has kicked off a process to create a five-year strategic
      plan, including a three-year campaign plan. Dick will describe the
      process,
      and the working group will brainstorm on a few possible campaigns, and
      then
      choose three to discuss in greater detail.

      6) RTP land use campaign (15 minutes)
      TALC is development a specific proposal to MTC to condition funding for
      major transit expansion projects on local plans for smart land-use. By
      Friday afternoon the proposal will be on TALC's web site (under Regional
      Transportation Plan). The working group will discuss it, finalize it, and

      then send it to the TALC Board.

      Working group breakouts --6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
      We will break up into four working groups that will help develop
      strategies
      on each of our main campaigns.
      · Strategic Plan and Campaign Development
      · RTP Land Use Campaign
      · Defending the Bicycle and Pedestrian Program
      · South Bay Save Our Transit Campaign

      Adjourn -- 7:30 pm
      NEXT REGIONAL MEETING: June 16, 2004.

      For more information please see www.transcoalition.org or call
      510-740-3150. To suggest items for future agendas please contact Stuart
      Cohen at stuart@...

      e-mail us at info@...

      Transportation and Land Use Coalition (TALC)
      TALC is a partnership of over 90 groups working for a sustainable and
      socially just Bay Area. We envision a region with vibrant, walkable
      communities that provide all residents with transportation choices and
      affordable housing. The coalition analyzes county and regional policies,
      works with community groups to develop alternatives, and coordinates
      grassroots campaigns.

      TALC List Instructions:
      You received this email because you gave TALC your email address, or
      someone forwarded this message to you.

      include your full mailing address and organization name, phone and fax
      numbers, and indicate what alert you are responding to.

      - to LIMIT to 1-2 emails per month, which includes meeting announcements
      and general newsletters, reply with "Public list only" in the subject line

      - to UNSUBSCRIBE, reply with "No E-mail" in the subject line

      - to be fully REMOVED from our database, reply with "Remove from TALC" in
      the subject line (and please let us know why).