Full Time Position - Pacific Environment - San Francisco, CA

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2004
      ----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 04/16/2004 07:35 AM -----

      "Kaye Bock" <kbock@...>
      Sent by: owner-planning-jobs@...
      04/15/2004 04:26 PM

      To: <planning-jobs@...>
      cc:
      Subject: Full Time Position (San Francisco, CA)

      Pacific Environment, a non-profit organization based in San Francisco,
      protects the living environment of the Pacific Rim by strengthening
      democracy, supporting grassroots activism, empowering communities, and
      redefining international policies. Pacific Environment seeks an
      experienced
      and energetic Executive Director with a passion for the environment and
      social justice to guide our talented staff and advance our mission.

      About Pacific Environment

      For nearly two decades, Pacific Environment has partnered with local
      communities around the Pacific Rim to protect and preserve the ecological
      treasures of this vital region. Together, we've shielded tens of thousands
      of acres of old growth forest; we've won protections for endangered
      species;
      we've forced oil, gas and mining companies to heed local concerns; and
      we've
      changed the way some of the world's most powerful financial institutions
      work.

      Because committed, local activists are better equipped to protect their
      environment than even the most well intentioned outsiders, Pacific
      Environment dedicates over 1/3 of our budget each year to funding over 40
      grassroots organizations around the Pacific Rim. From a Chinese student
      group to a native-led organization in Russia, we support environmentalists
      on the front lines.

      Because even local activists must contend with global forces, Pacific
      Environment confronts the agencies that provide the financial backing for
      oil, mining, logging and industrial fishing projects and the companies
      that
      profit from these often devastating projects. From the U.S. taxpayer
      supported Export-Import Bank to Shell and ExxonMobil, we're holding a
      flame
      to the feet of these powerful interests.

      And because environmental threats rarely take borders into account,
      Pacific
      Environment forges coalitions and partnerships between far-flung and often
      isolated environmentalists around the Pacific Rim. From cooperation on
      illegal logging to shared struggle to protect our oceans, we're building a
      movement to confront the global threats we face. Go to
      www.pacificenvironment.org to learn more about our work.

      Position Profile

      The Executive Director reports to the Pacific Environment Board and is
      responsible for overall programmatic, organizational, and fund
      development.
      Leading candidates will have a proven record managing a similar sized
      organization, working collaboratively with boards and staff, raising funds
      from both foundations and individual donors, and developing international
      environmental advocacy programs. Specifically, the Executive Director
      will
      work in the following areas:
      Administration
      · Oversees the adequacy, soundness, and transparency of the
      organization's financial structure. Facilitates organizational budget
      planning and monitoring.
      · Ensures that organizational operations enhance
      programmatic work.
      Board Development and Communication
      · Assists the board in leading Pacific Environment to
      advance the
      organization's mission.
      · Fosters communication among Pacific Environment board and
      staff.
      External Relations and Communications
      · Develops and maintains relationships with key allies and
      public
      constituencies.
      · Seeks out opportunities to represents Pacific Environment
      in public
      forums.
      · Advocates for Pacific Environment and its mission in a
      persuasive
      and articulate manner.
      Fund Development
      · Works closely with the Development Director, program
      staff, and
      board to secure funding from both foundations and individual donors to
      support Pacific Environment's work.
      · Explores and seeks new avenues of funding for Pacific
      Environment.
      Personnel
      · Supervises staff in a facilitative and collaborative
      manner to
      empower their work.
      · Hires, evaluates, and when necessary, terminates staff in
      a fair and
      effective manner.
      · Sets salary structure with board approval.
      · Encourages staff development.
      Program Development
      · Ensures programs are healthy and in keeping with Pacific
      Environment's mission.
      · Engages staff and board in developing new and existing
      programs
      within our strategic vision.

      Necessary Qualities and Qualifications
      The Executive Director possesses a broad range of talents and experience
      and
      is blessed with balance and a sense of humor. Leading candidates will
      have
      a minimum of 3 years of experience in leading a progressive organization
      or
      a substantial program within a similar agency. Candidates must have a
      bachelor's degree, although an advanced degree is preferred. Essential
      qualities and skills include:
      · Strong commitment to environmental protection and social
      change.
      · International conservation experience, including working
      in
      coalition with grassroots groups.
      · Superior written and oral communication skills.
      Multilingual
      candidates are preferred.
      · Collaborative leadership style; comfortable with
      independent staff.
      · Demonstrated ability to effectively raise funds in the
      non-profit
      sector.
      · Excellent advocacy skills.
      · Willingness to travel.

      Compensation
      This is a full-time salaried position with full benefits. The salary is
      very
      competitive.

      Application
      Applications must and may only include: a cover letter stating your
      interest
      and career goals, your resume, list of references and a brief writing
      sample
      that is no more than 3 pages. All of these documents must be in
      electronic
      form, clearly labeled, and emailed to edsearch2004@... by May 21.