April 2 kickoff, Designing With the Environment: A Portland Way?

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2004
      Note that this event will be broadcast live over the web.

      Asha Weinstein
      Department of Urban and Regional Planning
      San José State University
      One Washington Square
      San Jose, CA 95192-0185
      email: asha.weinstein@...
      phone: 408-924-5853

      ----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 03/19/2004 05:54 PM -----

      John Provo <provoj@...>
      Sent by: owner-phd-bowling-league@...
      03/19/2004 02:22 PM

      To: imsforum@...
      cc:
      Subject: April 2 kickoff, Designing With the Environment: A Portland Way?

      Please join us our Forum series "Designing with the Environment: A
      Portland Way?" and our April 2 kickoff event "From the Region to the Site"
      featuring Robert Yaro, David Bragdon, and Ethan Seltzer. We would
      appreciate your help in passing this information along to other interested
      parties and apologize in advance for any cross listings of this
      announcement that occur.

      Portland Metropolitan Studies, School of Urban Studies and Planning,
      Portland State University

      Please join us for a special series of Forums on sustainable development
      in the Portland region entitled "Designing with the Environment: A
      Portland Way?" underwritten by an Environmental Partnership Program grant
      from the Port of Portland. During April and May this four-part series
      will analyze the art, science, politics, policy, and bottom-line financial
      realities of designing buildings, businesses, public institutions, and
      communities with the environment in mind. Please drop us a line at imsforum@... if you would like to receive e-mail notifications with more details about
      this series or future events.

      All of the events in this series are held on Fridays from 3-5 pm at PSU's
      Urban Center, 506 SW Mill Portland, Room 204. Seating is limited and
      available on a first come first serve basis. They will also be broadcast
      live on the web at http://www.media.pdx.edu (click on Distance Learning Center Stream #1 or #2). On-line viewers may
      participate in real time, submitting questions via email to imsforum@... . The series will be archived on the website of the Institute at http://www.upa.pdx.edu/IMS/about/events.html .

      "From the Region to the Site: Designing with the Environment in Mind"
      April 2
      A conversation with Robert Yaro, President of the Regional Plan
      Association of New York and Chair of the Civic Alliance to Rebuild
      Downtown New York; David Bragdon, President of Metro; and Ethan Seltzer,
      Director of the School of Urban Studies and Planning, Portland State
      University

      Sustainable development and green design are often spoken of as a broad
      set of principles. Not surprisingly, their implementation means different
      things to different people. Does regional planning have anything to bring
      to this discussion? All three participants have been involved in
      various efforts to design healthier, more sustainable regions and
      communities and will be tasked with examining the fit between regional
      planning and sustainable development. If regions articulate such
      development and design principles and create the relationships to
      implement them "from the region to the site," will we better understand
      what we want and better be able to judge what we're getting from
      sustainable development and green design? How far has the Portland region
      gone in articulating its green identity and what has that meant for our
      region its economy and its environment?

      "Designing the Pearl and South Waterfront: Putting Some Green in Our
      Brownfields"
      April 23
      Presenters: Dennis Wilde, Gerding/Elden Development, Arun Jain, City of
      Portland Planning Bureau
      Moderator: Randy Gragg, Oregonian
      (Additional participants to follow)

      The neighborhood level is where any effort to at "greening" our built
      environment will face its first market test. This is certainly the case
      with green building, which involves challenging short-term assumptions
      about what goes into the bottom line for urban development. This session
      will look at examples of green building, urban design, and district
      planning activity and consider its influence on planning future
      neighborhoods such as Portland's South Waterfront Urban Renewal Area.
      Presentations by public and private sector experts on those areas will be
      followed by discussion with a panel of experts in fields like
      transportation, energy, finance, design, and community/environmental
      issues. They will be asking what have we learned from activity in
      neighborhoods like the Pearl and are we applying those lessons?

      "Sustainable Industries: Green Industrial Design for a Green Region"
      May, Date TBA
      Moderator: Nik Blosser, Sustainbale Industries Journal, Northwest
      (Additional participants to follow)

      Sustainable industries have emerged as a part of our regional "brand
      identity." This runs this gamut from green power producers and organic
      food producers where sustainable practices are explicitly part of their
      business model to firms in other industries who elect to adopt certain
      green elements into existing operations. Presentations by industry
      representatives will be followed by a discussion with a panel of experts
      in economic and community development representing the public, private and
      non-profit sectors. They will be asking what makes it "pay" for these
      firms to do the right thing and why do they choose to do it in Portland?

      "Designing With the Environment in Perspective: Examining The Role of the
      University"
      May, Date TBA
      Keynote address: Dean Nohad Toulan, College of Urban and Public Affairs,
      Portland State Univeristy
      (Additional participants and program details to follow)