TALC: Stop the VTA fare hikes! Enough is enough

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2004
      ----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 03/10/2004 09:15 PM -----

      Stuart Cohen <stuart@...>
      03/10/2004 01:19 PM

      To: "Santa Clara Activists" <info@...>
      cc:
      Subject: Stop the VTA fare hikes! Enough is enough

      Transportation And Land Use Coalition (TALC)
      Save Our Transit South Bay Alert!!!
      VTA is holding meetings next week on the next round of fare increases.
      They expect them to go to a $1.75 base fare next year then $2 in 2006.
      Help us stop the fare hikes! Here are three things that you can do.

      1) Attend TALC's Summit the Saturday, March 13. At 2 p.m. we will have a
      short strategy session for Santa Clara County activists. details are below
      or at www.transcoalition.org

      2) Attend any of the VTA public outreach meetings next week, information
      is below. Tell them that they should reduce their administrative staff,
      instead of raising fares.

      3) Attend TALC's next save our transit meeting -- Wednesday, March 31 6
      p.m.to 8 p.m.in San Jose (exact location to be finalized)

      Sign up for the Summit! For more information see below

      VTA Fare Hike Public Meetings scheduled for next week!
      The Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) is proposing to
      increase bus, light rail and paratransit service fares. If approved, the
      new fares would go into effect in January 2005.
      On March 15-18, 2004, VTA will holdsix public meetings to discuss proposed
      fare changes and to obtain public comments. The proposal, and public
      comments gathered at these meetings, will likely be considered by the VTA
      Board of Directors on June 3, 2004. Reserved that evening for a rally
      before the VTA Board meeting.
      A complete list of the proposed fare changes can be viewed at www.vta.org
      Current FaresJan-05
      Base Fare-Adult$1.50 $1.75
      Base Fare-Youth$1.25 $1.50
      Base Fare-Senior/Disabled$0.75 $0.75
      Base Fare-ADA Paratransit $3.00 $3.50
      Day Pass-Adult$4.50 $5.25
      Day Pass-Youth$3.75 $4.50
      Day Pass-Senior/Disabled$1.75 $2.25
      Monthly Pass-Adult$52.50 $61.25
      Monthly Pass-Youth$30.00 $52.00
      Monthly Pass-Senior/Disabled$17.50 $27.50

      The public is invited to attend any of these meetings on March 15-22,
      2004. The deadline to submit comments is Thursday, March 25, 2004.

      VTA Public Meetings on Fare Hikes

      Campbell
      Monday, March 15, 3:00 p.m.
      Campbell Library, Community Room
      77 Harrison Avenue, Campbell
      This location served by VTA Bus Line 26

      East San Jose
      Monday, March 15, 7:00 p.m.
      Eastside Senior Center
      2150 Alum Rock Avenue, San Jose
      This location served by VTA Bus Line 64

      Downtown San Jose (Spanish and Vietnamese interpreters available)
      Tuesday, March 16, 7:00 p.m.*
      First United Methodist Church
      24 North Fifth Street, San Jose
      This location served by VTA Bus Lines 22, 63, 64, 65, 72, 73 and 81

      Palo Alto
      Wednesday, March 17, 3:00 p.m.
      Lucy Stern Community Center
      1305 Middlefield Road, Palo Alto
      This location served by VTA Bus Line 35

      Mountain View
      Thursday, March 18, 7:00 p.m.
      Mountain View City Hall, Council Chambers
      500 Castro Street, Mountain View
      This location served by VTA Bus Lines 22, 35 and 51

      VTA is also accepting comments by phone (408)321-2300, fax (408)321-7535, TDD (408)321-2330, email customer.service@..., web www.vta.org, and mail 3331 N 1st San Jose CA 95134
      For more information about TALC's campaign contact Chris Lepe at
      Chris@...

      TALC's 7th Annual Summit is Now Open for Registration!

      Energizing Communities: Starving Sprawl

      Keynote Speaker: Senator Barbara Boxer
      Saturday, March 13
      9:30am - 2pm
      Laney College Forum, Oakland

      For decades, the Bay Area has subsidized sprawl development with billions
      of dollars in transportation infrastructure. Small incentive programs have
      not been enough to shift regional patterns away from these deeply
      ingrained growth patterns. But the Bay Area may be on the verge of a
      monumental shift in land use thinking. MTC, our regional transportation
      agency, may condition funds for transit expansion on supportive growth
      plans and give funds to cities to plan for smarter growth.

      TALC has been working to define a new course for transportation investment
      and growth issues in the Bay Area since 1997. Our major effort for 2004 is
      to break the self-fulfilling prophecy of sprawl by building support for
      smart regional policies. Whether you are new to the Coalition or a
      long-time supporter, the 7th Annual Summit is a great place to learn about
      these issues and help strategize for successful campaigns.

      The event will include Coalition speakers, multimedia presentations and
      Strategy and Training Sessions. The Sessions will tackle tough issues and
      prioritize TALC's Coalition strategies for 2004, and will give
      participants the tools to be an effective advocate:

      Strategy Sessions
      > Making the land use connection
      > Transportation Justice
      > Brainstorming five-year goals for TALC

      Training sessions
      is> Starting a Safe Routes to School program
      > Negotiating with developers
      > Effective lobbying with elected officials

      There will also be time at the end of the day for people to meet with
      others from their county or sub-region to discuss local campaigns.

      Read the Draft Agenda <http://www.transcoalition.org/cal/Summit/04agenda.html>

      More information about Energizing Communities, Starving Sprawl <http://www.transcoalition.org/cal/Summit/04summit.html>

      We hope to see you there! Register now!<http://www.transcoalition.org/cal/04reg2.html>

      We rely on donations to provide Coalition Updates, Action Alerts, and
      other services. Please consider making a donation to TALC via the secure Donate to TALC page of our website at: http://www.transcoalition.org/about/about_donate.html, or send a check payable to TALC at: 405 14th Street, Suite 605, Oakland,
      CA 94612.

      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      .

      TALC List Instructions:
      You received this email because you gave TALC your email address, or
      someone forwarded this message to you.

      phone and fax numbers, and indicate what alert you are responding to.

      - to LIMIT to 1-2 emails per month, which includes meeting announcements and general
      newsletters, reply with "Public list only" in the subject line

      - to UNSUBSCRIBE, reply with "No E-mail" in the subject line

      - to be fully REMOVED from our database, reply with "Remove from TALC" in the subject line (and please let us know why).

      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      .

      Transportation and Land Use Coalition (TALC)
      TALC is a partnership of over 90 groups working for a sustainable and
      socially just Bay Area. We envision a region with healthy, vibrant,
      walkable communities that provide all residents with transportation
      choices and affordable housing. The coalition analyzes county and regional
      policies, works with community groups to develop alternatives, and
      coordinates grassroots campaigns.

      Check out our website at: www.transcoalition.org

      info@...
      510.740.3150 voice