Fwd: People's Grocery is Hiring a Development Associate - Oakland

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2004
      ----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 03/10/2004 08:28 AM -----

      Dear Friends,
      People's Grocery is taking the plunge towards long term organizational
      sustainablity and we are hiring a development associate! We are looking to
      find a highly skilled, dynamic, connected person to fill this position, so
      we are casting the nets far and wide. Interviews will take place this
      month. Please forward to those you think may be interested.
      Thank you! Malaika

      People's Grocery Development Associate<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

      People's Grocery is working to find creative solutions to the food needs
      of West Oakland residents. Our mission is to uphold the human right to
      healthy and affordable food and to build community self-reliance by
      increasing neighborhood access to locally-produced fruits and vegetables
      and by promoting social enterprise, youth entrepreneurship, sustainable
      agriculture and grassroots organizing. Our programs include: The Mobile
      market, a grocery store on wheels selling fresh healthy affordable food
      from local farmers, Collards n' Commerce, a business and gardening program
      which employs 8 high school students and the Urban Agriculture program
      which works with 5 local gardens to grow food for residents.

      Job Description
      The Development Associate plays a crucial role in the vitality and
      longevity of People's Grocery and is fundamental in enabling us to serve
      our community and reach towards our long-term vision. In partnership with
      the Co-Executive Directors and program staff, the Development Associate
      will assist in raising funds to cover the costs of a range of programmatic
      needs as well as in enabling the organization to strive towards its goals
      for growth. The strategies used by the Development Associate are limited
      only by the bounds of creativity to which this position inspires. The
      Development Associate is encouraged to develop creative non-traditional
      means of fundraising in addition to more traditional methods of
      fundraising

      Duties and Responsibilities:
      The Development Associate will help carry out People's Grocery's
      three-fold fundraising strategy with an emphasis on individual donor
      cultivation:

      1) Grant writing: Researching public and private funding prospects,
      developing grant proposals and letters of intent, assisting in evaluation
      and data collection systems, compiling reports to funders, maintaining
      data on targeted funders and assisting with other grant-related
      communications as needed.

      2) Donor cultivation: Managing and implementing a comprehensive individual
      donor fundraising strategy including events organizing, phone calls,
      personal meetings, letter writing and attending events and conferences
      when appropriate.

      3) Corporate sponsorships: Developing sponsorship strategy and criteria,
      researching and outreaching to natural foods and other socially
      responsible companies, building contacts and relationships with those
      companies and acquiring corporate sponsorships.

      Skills and Qualifications:
      § Strong skills and experience both in writing foundation grants as well as
      in cultivating individual donors. Experience in sponsorship cultivation
      also preferred.
      § At least 2 years experience and demonstrated success as primary fundraiser
      for an organization with a budget equal to or larger than that of People's
      Grocery.
      § Strong research, planning and writing skills, attention to detail,
      computer skills (Word, Excel, Quick Books, Filemaker Pro and the
      Internet), data management skills, and excellent follow through.
      § People's Grocery uses both Lynne Twist's and Terry Axelrod's fundraising
      models as the basis of our individual donor cultivation. Priority will be
      given to applicants with experience with these models.
      § Some familiarity with issues of food access and health in West Oakland, as
      well as youth organizing, social entrepreneurship, and urban agriculture.
      § Ability to work effectively in a team setting and maintain strong
      inter-organizational communication.
      § Background in community organizing and experience working in communities
      of color
      § Must understand and be inspired by the goals and objectives of People's
      Grocery
      § Ability to establish a home office and work independently.

      Compensation: Depends on skill and experience. Our current adult staff are paid
      $12/hour. We are unable to offer benefits at this time.

      Time Commitment: Applicants must agree to a minimum of one year with People's Grocery.
      Hours: 20-30hours/week. Start Date: April, 2004

      For more information or for an application contact 510 504-0323 or
      info@...

      Oakland residents, people of color, women, and l/g/b/t persons encouraged
      to apply.