Job with Urban Strategies Council - Oakland
- ----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 02/19/2004 01:49 PM -----
URBAN STRATEGIES COUNCIL
For Neighborhood Initiatives and Field Building
Urban Strategies Council (the Council) is a community building support and
advocacy organization located in Oakland, California. Founded as a
non-profit organization in 1987, the Council's mission is to reduce
persistent poverty by helping to transform low-income neighborhoods into
vibrant, healthy communities. The Council works locally and nationally to
provide research, data and policy analysis, strategic planning, program
development, capacity building and advocacy in service of low-income
communities. The Council works with stakeholders in low-income
community-based organizations, and major public systems to expand services
for children and families, improve health, educational and other outcomes,
and increase employment and economic opportunities. For more information
the Council, see our website at www.urbanstrategies.org.
Urban Strategies Council seeks a Program Associate to work in two of its
program areas including Neighborhood Initiatives and Field Building. The
Council's Neighborhood Initiatives Program provides support to CBOs,
resident organizations and other stakeholders engaged in comprehensive
neighborhood change efforts. The Council's Field Building Program works
with organizational partners around the country to build organizational
capacity among community building organizations and to develop tools for
by community building practitioners. The Program Associate works under the
supervision a Senior Program Associate. Her/His primary assignments will
include working on program design; provision of technical assistance and
coaching support; research on policies and programs; synthesis of
information and dissemination to staff and partners to inform their work.
The position requires a person with the range of skills necessary to
undertake the activities identified above. The person should also have
broad knowledge of the community building and community development
· Bachelor's degree (Three additional years of experience
may be substituted
for the Bachelor's degree)
· A minimum of 3 years work experience in the areas of
community development, education, economic development, organizational
development, community organizing or related fields.
· Experience working with diverse communities and a
to social justice issues
· Ability to travel out of state and over weekends
REQUIRED SKILLS/EXPERIENCE IN:
· Providing technical assistance and coaching support.
· Written and oral communication skills.
· Excellent ability to work with people in a one-on-one and
· Conceiving, planning and managing a project area or
series of tasks from
conception through implementation
· Group facilitation, meeting management, and group
· Program design and implementation.
· Implementing and monitoring multiple activities.
· Research, analysis and writing.
· Establishing and overseeing systems for organizing and
information and documents.
· Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Powerpoint,
· Working with diverse communities and a demonstrated
commitment to social
· Bilingual a plus
· Salary of $30,000-$42,500 depending on qualifications
· Benefit plan including employer-contributed health care
Please send resume with cover letter to Director of Administration and
Finance, via email. Refer to Program Associate position in subject field
of email. No telephone inquiries, fax or USPS please. The review process
will begin on February 27, 2004. The position is open until filled.
Attn: Program Associate Position
Urban Strategies Council
672 ? 13th Street
Oakland, California 94612
FAX (510) 893-6657
The Urban Strategies Council is an equal opportunity employer