GIS job with Nelson/Nygaard - San Francisco
- ----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 02/19/2004 01:48 PM -----
Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates has an immediate opportunity for an
experienced GIS professional with experience in transportation planning
and/or other urban planning disciplines.
This position will work as part of the GIS-Planning Group, an
interdisciplinary group of staff skilled in transportation planning, GIS
mapping and analysis, and map design. For each project, the GIS-Planning
Specialist will work with others on staff to determine the best analytical
and presentation techniques to address project needs. Using ArcView 8x,
GIS-Planning Specialist will conduct analyses and develop high quality
for reports and presentations for transportation-related projects. While
some maps may be simple analysis tools in ArcView 8x, others may be quite
complex, presenting many different types of data across large urban and
rural areas. Adobe Illustrator is used to develop publication-quality
Possible applications include basic mapping of population densities,
path analysis for bus service planning, the potential impacts of
transportation investment on land use, etc.
As one of the firm's two primary GIS specialists, this position will be
responsible for educating other planners on the capabilities of GIS
software, developing analysis and mapping budgets for a variety of
transportation-related studies, identifying staffing needs and tools
required to accomplish analysis and mapping tasks, and co-managing the
day-to-day workload of GIS-related projects. The GIS-Planning Specialist
will also provide firm-wide technical expertise in GIS software and
· Master's degree in urban planning, transportation
geography, and professional GIS work experience desired. Consideration
also be given to candidates with a Bachelor's degree in these fields plus
two years of GIS-based planning experience. Experience with
GIS preferred but not required.
· Cartographic training, or practical experience designing
maps that are
clear, informative, and easy to read. A portfolio of work is desirable.
· Knowledge of and experience with ArcGIS 8x and relevant
(Network Analyst, 3D Analyst, Publisher, etc.) and familiarity with GIS
· Fluency with Adobe Illustrator and the conversion of GIS
maps to Adobe
Illustrator graphic files.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Access and SPSS software.
· Experience obtaining and importing data from a wide
variety of sources (US
Census data, client-supplied data, and original survey data collected by
· Ability to develop and manage geospatial databases.
· Experience exchanging digital data among different
software and computer
· Ability to evaluate staff needs and project requirements,
GIS-based solutions within budget and on time.
· Ability to work on several projects concurrently.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Experience writing technical reports and presenting the
results in a
· Ability to travel as needed (some travel may be needed,
Starting salary is $45-55K depending on experience. Position offers
competitive benefits in a downtown San Francisco location. For more
information about Nelson\Nygaard, please visit our web site at
Please fax resume and cover letter to (415) 284-1554, or e-mail Joey
Goldman, Principal and include "GIS-Planning Specialist" in the subject