San Jose Demographic Analysis Workshop - March 10, 11, 12

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2004
      San Jose Demographic Analysis Workshop Details
      When:   March 10th, 11th & 12th, 2004  (This is a one day workshop. Participants may choose either day.)
      Where:  2005 De La Cruz Ave Ste 200, Santa Clara, CA 95050
      Fee:      $225 for payment at time of registration, $249 regular price

      How to Register? Visit
      www.smartgirltechnologi es.com for easy online registration or call us at 877-241-6576

      The Local Demographic Analysis Workshop (LDAW) will teach you to extract, query, download, analyze, map and present 2002-1990 demographic data for San Jose and surrounding communities. This data can provide grant writers, social researchers and community planners with powerful tools to analyze community changes.

      In this unique, hands-on workshop participants will use data from the 2002 American Community Survey (ACS) and 2000/1990 Census of Population and Housing, for small area, regional and national analysis. Participants receive an LDAW workbook that includes the workshop presentation, exercises, reference materials and a valuable Demographic Data Resource CD.  This CD includes useful GIS tools such as ArcExplorer and several shapefiles for the entire US.

      Participants will also receive Information Activist, a quarterly e-letter highlighting new data rich websites and interesting social research.

      (For a detailed agenda, description of materials and to see workshop reviews, visit www.smartgirltechnologies.com )

      The Local Demographic Analysis Workshop (LDAW) will:

      • Teach you to extract, query, download, analyze, map and present 2002-1990 Census and American Community Survey (ACS) data that includes Income, Race/Ethnicity, Age, Housing, Language and Transportation;
      • Teach you to construct a Local Community Change Profile(tm). The Profile is comprised of 25 key demographic variables and is customized for San Jose and a Census tract within San Jose(participants may also substitute their own community);
      • Teach you analytical, demographic and spatial analysis techniques including commonly used mathematical formulas to transform raw data into compelling information;
      • Teach you about Census geography including common problems such as working with non-Census boundaries, analyzing change over time despite boundary changes and how to use new mapping functionality recently built in to American Factfinder;
      • Provide you with an extensive LDAW workbook that includes the a copy of the presentation, exercises, exercise answers and written reference materials;
      • Provide a valuable Demographic Data Resource CD that includes useful GIS tools such as ArcExplorer, a free map browser produced by ESRI;
      • Provide several boundary shapefiles such as tracts, counties, cities,water and school district boundaries for the entire United States;
      • Entitle you to receive Information Activist, a quarterly e-letter highlighting new data rich websites and interesting social research;
      • Learn techniques to present data in clear, compelling ways in terms of tabular, graphical and spatial data.

       --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---
      Former Participants' Comments:

      South Central Los Angeles Regional Center, Los Angeles, CA, 2003
      "This information will be a valuable tool to add to my skills arsenal. I'm excited about applying what I have learned to the grant writing process."

      Washington State Library, Seattle, WA 2002
      "Very good, concise introduction/overview of demographic analysis using official census data. I really enjoyed the instruction, and would take more classes on a variety of subjects through Smartgirl if they were offered."

      Action for Boston Community Development, Boston, MA 2002
      "The materials were excellent and what I liked best about the course was that it was hands on.  The class was very helpful and useful."

      NYU Institute for Education and Social Policy, NYC 2003
      "This workshop presented a clear and precise overview. It was very useful."

      Smartgirl Technologies, the creator of the original "Local Demographic Analysis Workshop"  is a social research company located in Portland, Oregon.  For more information about the workshop, who we are and what we do, check out our website at www.smartgirltechnologies.com.