5th Annual Berkeley Conference on Housing and Urban Policy, March 25th, 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4 3:02 PM
      PLEASE POST AND DISTRIBUTE TO YOUR LISTS:

      Dear Colleague,

      You are invited to attend "Building the Promise: Housing Assistance as Social Investment," the Fifth Annual Berkeley Conference on Housing and Urban Policy, to be held on Thursday, March 25th, 2004, in the Andersen Auditorium at the Haas School of Business on the Berkeley campus. To register, visit our conference website at:

      http://urbanpolicy.berkeley.edu/2004conference.htm

      Kevin Johnson, former NBA All-Star and now president of Sacramento's St. HOPE Corporation, will keynote. Panels will examine various aspects of housing assistance as social investment, including investment in facilities and services for the homeless. Presenters this year will include Sandra Newman of Johns Hopkins University and Sam Davis of UC Berkeley. Panelists will include Roberta Achtenberg of the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce, James Buckley of Citizens Housing Corporation, Amy Bogdon of the Fannie Mae Foundation, Carol Wilkins of the Corporation for Supportive Housing, and Amy Lemley of the First Place Fund for Youth.

      This annual conference honors the memory of Don Terner, a pioneer and innovator in providing housing, who led California's Department of Housing and Community Development and who was a major force in improving housing opportunities for all citizens.

      We expect a large turnout again this year, and space is limited. Pre-registration is necessary for all attendees.  The cost is reasonable and includes lunch. Early Registration is only $60 per person; General Registration after February 27th will cost $75. Admission is free for UCBkly students, faculty and staff [lunch not included], but pre-registration is still required. Special reserved fee parking is $25.  Since parking for visitors to campus is scarce, we strongly recommend public transportation and carpooling.

      For on-line registration information, visit the conference website at http://urbanpolicy.berkeley.edu/2004conference.htm

      We look forward to your participation in this year's conference. It promises to be a timely and exciting event.

      Sponsored by UC Berkeley's Program on Housing and Urban Policy, a research program affiliated with the Institute of Business and Economic Research and the Fisher Center for Real Estate and Urban Economics, and receiving institutional support from Berkeley's Haas School of Business, College of Environmental Design, and Goldman School of Public Policy.

      Dayana Salazar, Interim Chair
      Urban and Regional Planning Department
      San Jose State University
      (408) 924-5854