TALC's 7th Annual Summit - March 13

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2004
      ----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 01/31/2004 09:54 AM -----

      Robert Ping - Transportation and Land Use Coalition
      <robert@...>
      01/30/2004 04:42 PM

      To: robert@...
      cc:
      Subject: CORRECTED: 7th Annual Summit - March 13

      * Mark Your Calendars and Register Now! *

      Energizing Communities, Starving Sprawl

      TALC's 7th Annual Summit is now open for registration. The $10 registration fee includes box lunch and continental breakfast.

      Saturday, March 13
      9:30am ? 2:00 pm
      Laney College Forum, Oakland

      Keynote Speaker: Senator Barbara Boxer

      For decades, the Bay Area has subsidized sprawl development with billions
      of dollars in transportation infrastructure. Small incentive programs have
      not been enough to shift regional patterns away from these deeply
      ingrained growth patterns. But the Bay Area may be on the verge of a
      monumental shift in land use thinking. MTC, our regional transportation
      agency, may condition funds for transit expansion on supportive growth
      plans and give funds to cities to plan for smarter growth.

      The Transportation and Land Use Coalition (TALC, formerly BATLUC) has been
      working to define a new course for transportation investment and growth
      issues in the Bay Area since 1997. Our major effort for 2004 is to break
      the self-fulfilling prophecy of sprawl by building support for smart
      regional policies. Whether you are new to the Coalition or a long-time
      supporter, the 7th Annual Summit is a great place to learn about these
      issues and help strategize for successful campaigns.

      Senator Barbara Boxer is this year's keynote speaker, and the event will
      include Coalition speakers, multimedia presentations and Strategy and
      Training Sessions. The Sessions will tackle tough issues and prioritize
      TALC's Coalition strategies for 2004, and will give participants the tools
      to be an effective advocate:

      Strategy Sessions
      > Making the land use connection
      > Transportation Justice
      > Brainstorming five-year goals for TALC

      Training sessions
      > Starting a Safe Routes to School program
      > Negotiating with developers
      > Effective lobbying with elected officials

      There will also be time at the end of the day for people to meet with
      others from their county or sub-region to discuss local campaigns. Read the Draft Agenda.

      More information about Energizing Communities, Starving Sprawl

      We hope to see you there! Register now!

      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      .

      We rely on donations to provide Coalition Updates, Action Alerts, and
      other services. Please consider making a donation to TALC via the secure Donate to TALC page of our website at: http://www.transcoalition.org/about/about_donate.html, or send a check payable to TALC at: 405 14th Street, Suite 605, Oakland,
      CA 94612.

      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      .

      TALC List Instructions:
      You received this email because you gave TALC your email address, or
      someone forwarded this message to you.

      phone and fax numbers, and indicate what alert you are responding to.

      - to LIMIT to 1-2 emails per month, which includes meeting announcements and general
      newsletters, reply with "Public list only" in the subject line

      - to UNSUBSCRIBE, reply with "No E-mail" in the subject line

      - to be fully REMOVED from our database, reply with "Remove from TALC" in the subject line (and please let us know why).

      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      .

      Transportation and Land Use Coalition (TALC)
      TALC is a partnership of over 90 groups working for a sustainable and
      socially just Bay Area. We envision a region with healthy, vibrant,
      walkable communities that provide all residents with transportation
      choices and affordable housing. The coalition analyzes county and regional
      policies, works with community groups to develop alternatives, and
      coordinates grassroots campaigns.

      Check out our website at: www.transcoalition.org

      info@...
      510.740.3150 voice