San Jose Demographic Analysis Workshops (March 10, 11 & 12)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2004
      ----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 01/20/2004 06:58 PM -----

      "Gina Clemmer (SGT)" <info@...>
      01/20/2004 06:33 PM
      Please respond to "Gina Clemmer (SGT)"

      To: <asha.weinstein@...>
      cc:
      Subject: San Jose Demographic Analysis Workshops (March 10, 11 & 12)

      San Jose Demographic Analysis Workshop Details

      When: March 10th,11th & 12, 2004(This is a one day workshop. Participants may
      choose either day.)
      Where: 2005 De La Cruz Ave Ste 200, Santa Clara, CA 95050
      Fee: $225 for payment at time of registration, $249 regular price
      How To Register? Visit www.smartgirltechnologie s.com for easy online registration.

      The Local Demographic Analysis Workshop (LDAW)? will teach you to extract,
      query, download, analyze, map and present 2002-1990 demographic data for
      San Jose and surrounding communities.This data can provide grant writers,
      social researchers and community planners with a current snap shot of
      community demographics.

      In this unique, hands-on workshop participants will use disaggregated data
      from the 2002 American Community Survey (ACS) and 2000 Census of
      Population and Housing, for various geographies from neighborhood level to
      nationally. Participants receive a LDAW workbook that includes the
      workshop presentation, exercises, reference materials and a valuable
      Demographic Data Resource CD?. This CD includes useful GIS tools such as ArcExplorer and several
      shapefiles for the entire US.

      Participants will also receive Information Activist?, a quarterly e-letter highlighting new data rich websites and interesting
      social research.

      (For a detailed agenda, description of materials and to see workshop
      reviews, visit www.smartgirltechnologies.com )

      The Local Demographic Analysis Workshop (LDAW)? will:

      Teach you to extract, query, download, analyze, map and present 2002-1990
      Census and American Community Survey (ACS) data that includes Income,
      Race/Ethnicity, Age, Housing, Language and Transportation;
      Teach you to construct a Local Community Change Profile(tm). The Profile
      is comprised of 25 key demographic variables and customized for San Jose
      and a Census tract within San Jose (participants may also substitute
      their own community);
      Teach you analytical, demographic and spatial analysis techniques
      including commonly used mathematical formulas to transform raw data into
      compelling information;
      Teach you about Census geography including common problems such as working
      with non-Census boundaries, analyzing change over time despite boundary
      changes and how to use new mapping functionality recently built in to
      American Factfinder;
      Provide you with an extensive LDAW workbook that includes the a copy of
      the presentation, exercises, exercise answers and written reference
      materials;
      Provide a valuable Demographic Data Resource CD? that includes useful GIS
      tools such as ArcExplorer, a free map browser produced by ESRI;
      Provide several boundary shapefiles such as tracts, counties, cities,water
      and school district boundaries for the entire United States;
      Entitle you to receive Information Activist? , a quarterly e-letter
      highlighting new data rich websites and interesting social research;
      Learn techniques to present data in clear, compelling ways in terms of
      tabular, graphical and spatial data.
      --------------------------------
      Former Workshop Participants' Comments:
      King County, Washington, Public Health Department, Seattle 2003
      "The workshop was absolutely fantastic. It was full of very useful
      information presented in a completely user-friendly way. The instructor
      was wonderful. Thank you very much."
      South Central Los Angeles Regional Center, Los Angeles, CA, 2003
      "This information will be a valuable tool to add to my skills arsenal. I'm
      excited about applying what I have learned to the grant writing process."
      Action for Boston Community Development, Boston, MA 2002
      "The materials were excellent and what I liked best about the course was
      that it was hands on. The class was very helpful and useful."
      NYU Institute for Education and Social Policy, NYC 2003
      "This workshop presented a clear and precise overview. It was very
      useful."
      Smartgirl Technologies, the creator of the original "Local Demographic
      Analysis Workshop" is a social research company located in Portland,
      Oregon. For more information about the workshop, who we are and what we
      do, check out our website at www.smartgirltechnologies.com.
      If do not want to receive further announcements, simply reply to this
      message with the word "remove" in the subject line. We will immediately
      remove you from the announcement list.