Sad News: Simon Dominguez, URBP Acting Chair 2001-2002, Died on Monday Nov. 24
- We are so very sorry to announce that Simon Dominguez died on Monday
11/24. Services will be held at Darling-Fischer Mortuary at 615 N. Santa
Cruz in Los Gatos. Phone number 408/354-7740
Visitation will be Saturday 11/29 (Please call the Mortuary for time)
The Rosary will be held Sunday 11/30 at 4:00 pm
The funeral service will be held Monday 12/1 at 10:00 am
The family has requested that donations be made to the College of Social
Work in the name of Simon Dominguez.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2003 2:19 AM
Subject: [SJSU_MURPs] Digest Number 362
To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
There is 1 message in this issue.
Topics in this digest:
1. Full Time Position - CA - Economic Development
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:36:40 -0800
Subject: Full Time Position - CA - Economic Development
----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 11/26/2003 08:35 AM -----
"Kaye Bock" <kbock@...>
Sent by: owner-planning-jobs@...
11/26/2003 07:39 AM
Subject: Full Time Position - CA
MISSION ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION
NOVEMBER 21, 2003
The Organization: Mission Economic Development Association (MEDA) is a
community-based economic development agency that has facilitated the
accumulation of community assets. For most of this time, it has done so
primarily by helping small businesses access capital. Over the past
years, we have strengthened and expanded our business technical assistance
and incorporated a broader community perspective into our work. Each of
programs' is aimed at enhancing the long-term sustainability of the
class residents and small local-serving businesses in the Mission
Our work with small businesses includes direct technical assistance,
provision of public services in the neighborhood, policy and advocacy. Our
main engagement with area residents is through our financial literacy
program. MEDA's work engages individuals and small business in
community-building strategies that together lead to appropriate and
equitable economic development in the neighborhood.
The Position: The Business Coordinator will be responsible for providing
strategic vision and leadership to shape the ongoing development of the
Mission Corridor Project. MEDA's primary objective with the Mission
Corridor Project is to build a community of merchants that is organized to
address shared issues collectively, and at the same time strengthen the
relationship between merchants, their immediate physical environment and
salient issues in the neighborhood. The Business Coordinator will serve
the lead point of contact for issues related to the neighborhood physical
improvement, organizing and advocacy efforts along the Mission Street
commercial corridor. Duties for this position include, but are not
to, the following:
1. Primary Functions
Coordination and Program Development:
* Working with merchants and MEDA staff to develop programming and funding
proposals (i.e. façade improvement programs, adopt-a-block, etc.) and
prepare funding related reports and updates.
* Serving as a liaison between MEDA and the business community.
* Encouraging a cooperative climate between businesses, neighbors,
neighborhood institutions, city departments and local public officials.
* Conducting and supervising outreach and organizing efforts among
along the Corridor.
* Directing efforts at business retention, expansion, and recruitment,
including providing information, expertise and appropriate referrals to
business owners. Working with businesses to identify business recruitment
strategy that will support and enhance existing business mix and services
available to local residents.
* Meeting and educating merchants and representatives from city
about street maintenance, design and other public sector issues
* Representing projects and overall organization in community, public, and
funding related meetings.
* Serving in an advocacy and mediating capacity for merchants and
facing among other issues, displacement from new developments.
* Attending business and community meetings as necessary, working with
Business Assistance staff to establish marketing and other small business
related seminars and enrichment programs.
* Assist in designing a business and economic development strategy that
incorporates overall needs of the business community including both market
and consumer needs.
* Encouraging and building the businesses in the district's ability to
undertake joint activities such as promotional events, advertising,
store hours, special events, business recruitment, parking management,
2. Secondary Functions
* Maintain neighborhood business inventory database.
* General office administrative duties including replying to general
inquiries, appropriate referrals, mailings of materials, and being aware
the supplies inventory.
* Working with MEDA's Office Manager to ensure supplies are ordered on a
* Tracking own working hours.
* Some physical demands may apply, such as maintaining office cleanliness
and moving of office furniture. However, reasonable accommodations will
made on a case-by-case basis.
3. Supervisory Responsibilities
* This position has no staff supervisory responsibilities.
* Bachelor degree in business, marketing, community development or a
field preferred. Business experience in marketing, public relations or in
entrepreneurial ventures will be accepted in lieu of a degree.
* Experience in commercial improvement efforts REQUIRED.
* Demonstrated commitment to community building and community development.
* Interpersonal skills necessary to effectively interact with diverse
populations and to organize and motivate volunteers from the business
* Bilingual in Spanish/English OR Chinese (Mandarin)/English is REQUIRED.
* Creative problem solving and critical thinking skills.
* High level of attention to detail.
* Intellectual awareness and genuine appreciation of challenges related to
running a successful business.
* Excellent verbal, communication and writing skills.
* Ability to work independently and as a team member.
* Computer skills a must.
This position is a Full-Time position, with competitive pay and full
benefits. Send resume and cover letter to: HR@... or fax to:
* This message was sent through the list-server *
* planning-jobs. To unsubscribe from this list you *
* should send a message to majordomo@... *
* that contains only this line: *
* unsubscribe planning-jobs *
Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/