Transportation jobs: TFN Employment Connections (fwd)
- --------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:14:54 -0500
From: Michelle Ernst <mernst@...>
Subject: TFN Employment Connections: November 21, 2003 (Happy Thanksgiving
Transportation Futures Network Employment Connections
This is the Transportation Futures Network Employment Connections. It is
periodic compilation of job positions to match the right people with the
right jobs in areas broadly related to the transportation field. TO
AN EMPLOYMENT POSTING TO TFN, SEND AN EMAIL CONTAINING ONLY THE TEXT OF
POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT TO: mernst@...
Positions included in this issue:
*Project Director, Safe Routes for Seniors, Transportation Alternatives
*Bicycle Program Internship, DC DOT (Washington, DC)
*Senior Transportation Planner/Project Manager, Renaissance Planning Group
(Tampa or Orlando, FL)
*Executive Director, Odyssey (Sacramento, CA)
*Recent FTA Postings
THE TFN MISSION
The purpose of the Transportation Futures Network is to cultivate
progressive leadership in the transportation field. Members believe that
sensible transportation decisions are an essential ingredient of viable
communities and therefore should support environmental quality, social
equity, community development and economic efficiency. To help our members
pursue these goals, the Network provides a forum for problem-solving,
debate, professional development and collaboration on local and national
"Transportation is about making connections, and so are we."
PROJECT DIRECTOR, SAFE ROUTES FOR SENIORS, TRANSPORTATION ALTERNATIVES
Transportation Alternatives (T.A.) seeks a full-time Project Director to
manage our new Safe Routes to Seniors community based planning and
program in northern Manhattan. Safe Routes to Seniors is a partnership
between T.A. and the New York State Department of Health aimed at
walking conditions for older people in Manhattan north of 110th Street.
project involves extensive outreach and consensus building with seniors
groups and service providers, community leaders, elected officials and the
Department of Transportation and Police Department. A detailed project
description can be found on-line at :
A successful candidate will have experience managing a complicated
planning project and writing reports and managing staff.
* Strong writing and presentation skills and ability to speak effectively
* Proven experience managing complicated projects with multiple objectives
and extensive written deliverables.
* Ability to work independently, solve problems and deliver results under
* Understanding of community politics and organizing.
* Public health, urban planning or transportation advocacy background a
* Proven ability to work well with people from diverse backgrounds and
* Knowledge of GIS mapping and power point a plus.
* Spanish speaking/writing a big plus.
* Minimum three years post-college work experience required.
Compensation: Pay is competitive with other NY-NJ area non-profit
organizations and commensurate with qualifications and experience;
include HMO health coverage, Transit Chek and three weeks paid vacation.
Start Date: ASAP
1) A cover letter explaining your interest and qualification.
2) Your resume.
To: Safe Routes for Seniors Search
115 West 30th Street, Rm. 1207
New York, New York 10025
Or email: Seniorsjob@...
Please do not phone.
BICYCLE PROGRAM INTERNSHIP, DC DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
The District of Columbia Department of Transportation is seeking an intern
to assist the Bicycle Program Manager.
Duties may include, but not be limited to:
* Identifying locations for bicycle racks
* Measuring street and lane widths
* Taking photographs of sites for potential bicycle facilities
* Researching bicycle facilities from other cities
* Giving bicycle safety presentations to children and adults
* Identifying and contacting other agencies, groups and individuals to
coordinate planning and implementation of bicycle facilities
* Counting bicyclists on specific streets
* Revising bicycle laws and regulations in cooperation with the City
* Preparing budget, procurement, and contracting documents
* Representing the DC Bicycle Program at meetings or events
* Drawing bicycle lanes and other pavement marking by hand or
* Organizing community groups around bicycle and trail projects
* Reviewing traffic studies, reconstruction plans and resurfacing plans
* Developing informational materials (flyers, brochures, web pages) for
The ideal candidate will:
* have some bicycling or bicycle planning experience and interest
* have a bicycle and/or be willing to ride one
* have excellent interpersonal and communications skills
* be proficient in one or more of the following computer software
application types: word processing, spreadsheets, geographic information
systems, computer aided design, graphic design
* be an undergraduate or graduate student
Hours: 20-40 hours per week
Duration: Minimum 4 months; up to 2 years
Salary: $15 per hour
Location: 2000 14th Street, NW, Washington, DC
Start Date: January 2004
To apply, send a resume to:
James R. Sebastian
Bicycle Program Manager
District Department of Transportation
2000 14th Street, NW 7th Floor
Washington, DC 20009
For questions, call 202 671 2331 or email jim.Sebastian@...
SENIOR TRANSPORTATION PLANNER/PROJECT MANAGER, RENAISSANCE PLANNING GROUP
Renaissance Planning Group, a dynamic and progressive consulting firm with
focus on creating integrated solutions to transportation and land use
projects for public agencies, is seeking a senior-level transportation
planner in either its Tampa or Orlando offices. Minimum qualifications
include a master's degree or equivalent in urban and regional planning,
five or more years of experience in transportation planning, and strong
communication and analytical skills. AICP preferred. Experience should
include project management, GIS or travel demand forecasting, traffic
analysis and public involvement. In addition, knowledge of the MPO
process, familiarity with multimodal transportation planning methods, and
understanding of urban design principles is desired. Position open until
Salary depends on qualifications and experience.
Send resume to Whit Blanton, AICP, Vice President;
wblanton@...; 100 E. Pine Street, Suite 401, Orlando, FL
32801. Find out more about Renaissance at www.citiesthatwork.com.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, ODYSSEY
The Executive Director is responsible for leading, developing, and
Odyssey, including: development and oversight of programs, management of
personnel, fiscal oversight & budgeting, fund raising, legal and fiduciary
compliance, public relations, networking, board and volunteer leadership
* Proven ability to provide strong strategic leadership to build and
an organization and its programs.
* Experience in a role as a senior manager or organizer, preferably with a
transportation, public health, social equity, environmentally-focused or
other non-profit organization. This could include experience as an
Executive Director or Associate Executive Director, Organizing Director,
Campaign Manager, Development Director, etc.
* Proven ability to supervise, support and develop staff and volunteers.
* Experience developing non-staff leadership bodies such as boards,
or coalition steering committees, etc.
* Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills and
* Successful fundraising experience.
* Proven strategic planning and operational management skills, including
ability to manage diverse projects and personnel, budgets and multiple
The compensation package is extensive and includes a competitive salary,
health insurance, retirement and investment options. Final salary offered
will be based on the applicant's meeting job qualifications and
For a full job description, please visit our website at www.odyssey.org
Interested individuals should send a cover letter that articulates your
experience as relevant to this position, salary requirements, and a
no later than December 5, 2003, to: ODYSSEY Search (subject line)
Odyssey is an equal opportunity employer committed to developing the
leadership skills of people from diverse backgrounds. We are committed to
identifying and recruiting a broad and diverse pool of qualified
for this position.
Recent FTA job postings available at: