Funding for better transportation

  • Olga Meydbray
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1 8:20 PM
      Hi all,

      This came across the Architects, Designers and Planners for social
      responsibility listserve but its pertinent to our interests.

      There's also a sample letter to your representative if you wish.

      Olga

      Begin forwarded message:

      > From: Adpsrmail@...
      > Date: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:20:05 PM US/Pacific
      > To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
      > Subject: ADPSR NorCal List: ADPSR Alert - funding for better
      > transportation
      >
      > Dear ADPSR Members,
      >
      > These days there are many political issues on which ADPSR is trying to
      > take
      > a stand, from war and nuclear issues-- the issues ADPSR was founded
      > on-- to
      > environmental destruction. Although not perhaps as urgent as war and
      > peace,
      > one issue that affects us directly in our professional fields is
      > transportation and land-use planning. Unsurprisingly for the current
      > administration and political climate, good planning is under attack at
      > the
      > Federal government level. The main transportation funding bill is up
      > for
      > reauthorization this fall, and as currently proposed it will eliminate
      > funding for alternatives to highways by cutting the program known as
      > "Transportation Enhancements."
      >
      > There are many organizations who are fighting to save Transportation
      > Enhancements, from the American Planning Association to America Bikes
      > to the
      > National Trust for Historic Preservation. These organizations have put
      > together a lot of excellent background information on this topic,
      > which I
      > will only summarize very briefly below. Their main point is that to
      > preserve
      > funding for pedestrian projects, bicycle projects, rails-to-trails, and
      > transportation and land use linked projects, members of Congress must
      > hear
      > that their constituents support the program. I encourage you to use the
      > online resources below to locate your House Representative and let
      > them know
      > you support this program. Let them know that your are writing as a
      > professional in the field, and with the support of ADPSR, which
      > represents
      > hundreds of additional professionals. I have drafted a sample letter
      > below
      > that you are free to adapt to your own use.
      >
      > I know that we have many strong allies on this issue. I don't know too
      > much
      > about how Congress works, but I have the sense from reading up on the
      > issue
      > that there is a real chance that this policy can be reversed to keep
      > things
      > at least at the level where they are right now-- not good enough by a
      > long
      > shot, but better than the proposed alternative. I suppose that other
      > issues
      > reach more directly into the topics of peace, justice, and
      > environmental
      > sustainability that are at the center of ADPSR's mission, but I think
> [...]
      Olga Meydbray
      elwha22@...
      408.439.2722 (cell)

      "When the last tree has fallen, when the last river has dried, and the
      last fish caught, then [people] will learn that they can't eat money."
      -Chief Sealth (Seattle)