Volunteer Internship: City of Los Angeles Dept of City Planning
The City of Los Angeles Department of City Planning – Policy, Plan Implementation (Project Planning), and Code Studies Sections are looking for volunteer intern candidates. This is a volunteer/non-paid internship available starting Winter 2014 (early or mid-January). Candidates are ideally available for 16 - 30 hours/week. Those selected will be working closely with professional level planners on policy, zoning code regulations, research, project permit review, environmental review, and community outreach efforts. The positions offer an enriching experience for new planners or advanced planning students wishing to gain hands-on practice in urban planning. The department has a preference for interns who can commit to a 6-month internship; however 3-month internships are also acceptable.
Position Summary/Job Description
The Department is working on a number of exciting and challenging projects. The interns will be assigned a variety of policy and plan implementation projects including but not limited to: Zoning Code revision (re:code LA); updates to several land use policy documents such as the Mobility Element, and CEQA review for the Health Element; land use planning for Specific Plans, Community Plans, and Transit Oriented Districts; project review, project permit compliance/case processing for compliance with various specific plan areas and design review boards; and density bonus case reviews for new development projects.
Tasks may include:
- Issue-specific research and analysis, including field surveys
- Policy development, report and recommendation writing
- Review of development projects (plot plans) for design and project permit compliance consistency
- Preparation and Review of CEQA documents
- Web site development and maintenance, including the creation of content
- Community meeting preparation, participation and outreach
- Graphics preparation using SketchUp, Photoshop, or Illustrator
- Preparation of presentations
- Data entry and records management
- Various general support duties
- Mapping and analysis using Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Experience or education in Urban/City Planning, Public Policy, Architecture, Historic Preservation
- Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint proficiency
- Experience with GIS, AutoCAD, SketchUp, Photoshop, and Illustrator preferred, but not required
- Bilingual in conversational/written Spanish, but not required
- Available minimum 16 hrs./week.
- Ideal candidates are familiar with the City of Los Angeles, enjoy problem-solving, are highly
- motivated, detail-oriented, and have superior writing skills.
Email your resume and cover letter (statement of interest) in the program with a description of relevant skills to Cherry Yap, cherry.yap@..., by 12pm, December 12, 2013; if you have strong graphic design skills please include your portfolio. Email all your documents in ONE pdf file. Please call (213) 978-1164 for any questions. Interviews are planned to be held the week of January 6, 2014 (by phone or in person). Start date is anticipated to be early to mid-January 2014.