Summer Internships, ChangeLab Solutions

  • druss129
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2013

      ChangeLab Solutions

      Planning/Policy Intern

      Summer 2014

      ChangeLab Solutions seeks a Planning and/or Policy Intern for the Summer of 2014. The position is open to current graduate students in a relevant field who are able to work at least 35 hours per week for a minimum of 10 weeks.  (There may be an opportunity to extend summer work into the school year.)

      About ChangeLab Solutions

      ChangeLab Solutions provides community-based solutions for America’s most common and preventable diseases like cancer, heart disease, diabetes, obesity and asthma. We believe that achieving the common good means everyone has nourishing food; safe places to live and play; plenty of opportunities to bike, walk, or take transit; fresh water; and clean air indoors and out.

      ChangeLab Solutions holds a vision of renewed social and economic systems, institutions, and environments that maximize health for all, especially for those with the least resources. This vision is centered on a “health in all policies” strategy that promotes improved health outcomes throughout the fabric of community life.

      Our mission is to promote the common good by developing laws and policies that link all aspects of community life – housing, education, jobs, the economy, the environment – to healthy outcomes. We are dedicated to creating efficient public services and building new partnerships. And we are committed to an enduring vision of public health as a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being for the entire population.

      Our approach is fiscally responsible, promoting evidence-based strategies that account for generational health and sustainable communities.  As health care costs overwhelm both public financing and private businesses, ChangeLab Solutions retools public infrastructure to promote health, prevent disease, and save money. In California alone, our work in tobacco control has helped save $86 billion in health care costs and resulted in 25 percent fewer lung cancer deaths than other states.

      Our unique niche is to develop and provide multi-disciplinary legal and policy tools that improve health outcomes. We draft model laws and policies based on the best scientific evidence, publish comprehensive “how to” guides to empower state and local leadership, engage in tailored training and technical assistance activities, and annually respond to thousands of inquiries from the field.

      Position Description

      ChangeLab Solutions seeks a Planning and/or Policy Intern to support our dynamic team of planners, policy analysts, attorneys, and public health experts who develop innovative solutions to critical public health challenges.  The Planning and/or Policy Intern will support our obesity prevention, tobacco control, and healthy and sustainable planning efforts, and will gain experience in a wide range of issues that impact the communities and institutions in which we live, work, play, and learn.

      Duties & Responsibilities

      Projects and activities may include any or all of the following:

      • Provide policy research and analysis to strengthen state and local policies to create healthy, sustainable communities.
      • Research and writing on a variety of cutting-edge transportation, food systems, and land use policy strategies.
      • Collect and synthesize a variety of primary and secondary research sources, including interviews, reports, municipal codes, general plans, zoning codes, other planning/policy documents, and academic literature.
      • Conduct key informant interviews with policy practitioners and other experts to inform research and product development
      • Craft clear, easy-to-read fact sheets, technical assistance responses, and other written resources for ChangeLab Solutions’ audience.
      • Other duties as assigned.

      Desired Qualifications:

      ·         Current Masters in public policy or planning students.

      ·         Familiarity with land use planning processes.

      ·         Familiarity with transportation, economic development, climate change, sustainability, food systems, active living, or other chronic disease prevention policies.

      • Excellent research, analytic, and writing skills.
      • Able to translate complex ideas into writing accessible to a layperson audience.
      • Well-organized and detail-oriented.

      Compensation:

      There will be a limited number of paid summer internships.  We strongly encourage applications from students who will receive academic credit or otherwise use the position in fulfillment of requirements leading up to their degree.  We also welcome applications from students and recent graduates who will receive funding through a school or other institution.

      How to apply:

      Please send a resume, cover letter, writing sample and a list of 3 references to: jobs@...; please include “Summer 2014 Planning/Policy Intern” in the subject line of the email. Please indicate in your cover letter whether you are able to secure academic credit or external funding for your work.

      Open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered.

      We are proud to be an EEO/AA Employer

      NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE