Paid internship - GIS Intern, Redwood City
- Close Date: Until Filled
Salary: $18.00 Hourly
The City of Redwood City is seeking a value-driven team player to fill the position of GIS Intern in the Community Development Department. This internship provides an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic individual seeking a learning opportunity in the use, maintenance, and application of GIS in local government. This position will report to the GIS Coordinator and will be primarily involved in updating GIS data, preparing maps and conducting spatial analysis for Community Development staff.
This is a casual position. Casual employees may not work more than 1000 hours per year and do not receive benefits.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Will have thorough knowledge of ArcGIS desktop software (preferably v10.1) including geo-processing tools (clip, buffer, intersect, etc.), conversion tools, data editing, and geocoding. In addition, he or she will be a motivated and diligent learner with an interest in community development, public works, and other local government functions; will have the ability to synthesize, summarize, evaluate, and/or identify information; will use initiative and judgment to analyze relevant data; will be able to take direction and follow established policies and procedures; will be a team player who is able to work effectively with a variety of City staff; will be detail-oriented and will have strong written and oral communication skills. Experience with relational databases and SQL is a plus.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education & Experience
· A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Geographic Information Systems, Computer Science, Geography, or related field is desirable.
· Current enrollment in a Master’s program in the above areas is highly preferred.
· Candidates should have at least 1 year experience with ArcGIS desktop software, either through education or work experience.
· Basic principles and practices of GIS and cartographic design
· ArcGIS 10.x desktop software (ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox)
· Microsoft Office software such as Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint
· Perform data entry and data updates thoroughly and accurately
· Conduct spatial analysis, and prepare high quality maps
· Maintain GIS layers, create and edit spatial data
· Communicate effectively, orally and in writing, and work cooperatively with City staff
· Use tact and discretion in dealing with those contacted in the course of work
· Plan, develop, review and complete projects in a timely manner
· Interpret and apply administrative and departmental policies and procedures
A City Application and supplemental questionnaire is required.
Applications may be obtained in one of the following ways:
1. Apply online at www.calopps.org, Member City : Redwood City
2. Visit our web site @ www.redwoodcity.org to print the application form.
3. Call our 24-hour Job Hotline at (650) 780-7292.
4. Visit the City of Redwood City Department of Human Resources (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm ) at 1017 Middlefield Road , Redwood City , California 94063
Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process should advise the Department of Human Resources upon submittal of application.
All applications and supplemental materials will be reviewed for neatness, accuracy, completion, rel eva nt education, experience, training and other job related qualifications. The most appropriately qualified candidates will be invited to participate in an interview with members of the Community Development Department. If there is an interest, based on your application and questionnaire, you will be contacted by the Community Development Department.
The specifics of the interview will be sent to those qualifying candidates. Prior to appointment, candidates will be required to pass a background check, at no cost to the candidate. The Immigration Act of 1986 requires proof of identity and eligibility for employment at date of hire.
The City of Redwood City is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer!
CITY CORE VALUES
We are an exceptional organization and a leader in the Bay Area. The values that guide us are:
· EXCELLENCE: Passion to do our best in each moment.
· INTEGRITY: Do the right thing, not the easy thing.
· SERVICE: We care and it makes a difference.
· CREATIVITY: Freedom to imagine and courage to act.
Note: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.