Planners Tailgate Party and Baseball Game

  • Hing Wong
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24, 2013
      The annual planners tailgate party and baseball game is coming up soon! It will be on Saturday, August 3rd. The tailgate party will start at 10:30am with game time at 1:05pm. Join us for a fun and relaxing outing. Invite your family and friends to this event. Around 50 people have participated each year. This is a great networking opportunity!

      During the tailgate party, we'll have barbeque chicken on the grill plus all the fixings. There will be a wide selection of vegetarian options as well. Then we'll watch the Oakland A's play the Texas Rangers and battle for first place. Don't worry if you're not a big baseball fan (or even a fan of one of the teams playing), you'll enjoy hanging out with fellow planners.

      Our tailgate party will be in Parking Lot "D". Enter the parking lot from 66th Avenue. [http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/oak/ballpark/parking.jsp%5d The specific location will be announced later. The parking fee for each vehicle is $17. Another option to get there is to take BART to the Coliseum/Oakland Airport station and walk to the tailgate party.

      Ticket to the baseball game along with food/drinks will be $25 per person. We will purchase the baseball game tickets (otherwise, the cost for ticket to the game is $32 for our section). We'll provide the main food and drinks, but please bring a side dish or additional drinks. If you're driving, please bring a few extra folding chairs so that we can use them during the tailgate party.

      IMPORTANT RSVP DETAILS
      (1) If you are planning to attend, please respond back via email to hingw@... by July 26, 2013.
      (2) Tell us how many tickets you will need (if more than one) as well as the names in your RSVP so that we can have an accurate count of tickets.
      (3) Send a check for the appropriate amount ($25 per person) to: Hing Wong, P.O. Box 2050, Oakland, CA 94604-2050 by July 26th.

      This event has been posted to Evite and Facebook as well as some emails, so please pardon the duplication. We hope to see you there!

      Saturday | August 3, 2013 | Oakland Coliseum
      10:30am | Tailgate Party
      1:05pm | Baseball Game

    • Hing Wong
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 21, 2013
        Effective Community Engagement
        Bay Area Planning Directors Association Meeting
        (This meeting is open to all planners)

        November 1, 2013 | 8:30am to 1:30pm
        Nile Hall, Preservation Park, 668 13th Street, Oakland

        Community engagement is an integral part of our planning work and is a rapidly changing field. This meeting is an opportunity to explore effective community participation techniques using social media and enhancing community workshops to achieve intended outcomes.

        A communications expert will identify specific strategic elements for the design and conduct of workshops for success, and a panel of Bay Area planning directors and planners will discuss their experience with social media tools and provide guidance on exploring these approaches.

        We will examine how using social media and traditional tools can result in more effective communication during planning processes, including understanding public sentiments, keeping the communication edge in our planning efforts, and making more effective decisions. The meeting is intended to provide ample opportunity for discussion and sharing of other experiences with modern community engagement practices.
        Designing and Conducting Successful Community Engagements presentation by Dr. Shawn Spano
        Effective Engagement by Planners and City Councils panel with elected officials
        Social Media and Online Engagement Tools panel with communication managers
        The $45 registration fee includes breakfast and lunch. For additional information, to view the full agenda, and to register, please go to www.abag.ca.gov/abag/events/BAPDA.