Opening at Nelson Nygaard - Principal Planner

  • viona erika
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2013
      http://www.transittalent.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=38705

      Openings in Consultants
      Company: Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates, Inc. View more listings
      Position: Principal Planner – Public Transit Services
      Location: San Francisco, California
      Job Status: Full-time
      Salary: See Below
      Job ID: 38705
      Website: http://nelsonnygaard.com
      Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates is a mid-sized sustainable transportation planning firm, committed to developing compelling alternatives to drive-alone transportation. Sustainable transportation planning is literally all we do. Our staff of 90 people focuses exclusively on projects that promote increased transit, bicycling, and walking mode share. Our primary areas of expertise include transit planning, multi-modal transportation, Transportation Demand Management (TDM), parking management for smart growth objectives, pedestrian and bicycle planning, paratransit and community transportation, and other related disciplines.

      Our transit planners specialize in projects that transform the way transit systems function; making them more efficient for transit agencies to operate and more useful and attractive to passengers.

      We are in the process of expanding our national transit practice and are seeking a highly organized, independent, forward-thinking Principal Transit Planner for our San Francisco office.

      Responsibilities
      Our San Francisco Transit Principal will be expected to:
      * Aggressively participate in Business Development and Marketing Activities, and pursue new work in a cost effective manner
      * Directly manage a team of 3 to 6 junior and/or senior planners
      * Manage studies for mid size (100 to 150 buses) and large size (larger than 200 buses) systems. These studies include Comprehensive Operations Analysis, Long Range Plans, Line by Line Studies, Transit Development Plans, etc.
      * Mentor/train junior staff
      * Participate in firmwide strategic planning activities on an as-needed basis
      * Attend conferences on an as-needed basis Projects may be located anywhere throughout the US and possibly even overseas, and thus a willingness, and desire, to travel is essential.Qualifications and Requirements

      The successful candidate must demonstrate
      * Current, top notch service planning and operational planning skills
      * A passion for excellence in transit design and performance
      * Strong team leadership skills
      * At least some previous consulting experienceCandidates must be able to demonstrate significant expertise in at least five of the following areas:
      * Short and Long Range Transit Planning
      * Comprehensive Operational Analysis (COA)
      * Transit/shuttle service design, planning and operations
      * Bus Rapid Transit/Rapid Bus
      * Light rail, commuter rail, and/or streetcar
      * Intelligent transit systems and technology
      * Transit policy, funding and governance
      * Fare system pricing, policy and technology
      * Multimodal/Intermodal facility planning
      * Multi-system coordination
      * Scheduling and runcutting
      * Coordination of community transportation services
      * Campus transportation planningCandidates must meet the following three requirements to be considered:
      1. You must have at least 10 years of increasingly responsible experience in public transit planning.
      2. You must demonstrate successful and sustained experience in business development, i.e., winning work. If you are coming directly from a government agency then you must be able to convince us that you will be able to do this within one or two years of starting at Nelson\Nygaard.
      3. You must have at least a Bachelor’s Degree in city/urban planning, transportation engineering or related planning field, or equivalent experience. A Master’s Degree in one of these fields is highly preferred.In addition, you must be able to demonstrate excellent written and verbal skills, the ability to manage projects within budget, work successfully with clients, members of the public and your team members, prepare reports and successful proposals, perform technical analysis, feasibility studies, make presentations and solve problems.

      Finally, you must be someone who we want to work with and who our clients want to work with. We will help you develop your skills, but we also expect you to use your skills to help our junior staff to develop theirs.

      Salary and Benefits
      Nelson\Nygaard offers a competitive benefits program and a flexible, friendly work environment that encourages diversity and creativity.
      The annual salary range equivalent for this position is $100,000 to $115,000.
      Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment, and employees are treated during employment, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
      Submittals
      Please combine your cover letter and resume into a single PDF with the filename format "Firstname Lastname – Transit Principal SFO.pdf".
      Please send materials to:
      jobs@... with the subject line "Transit Principal SFO".
      No phone calls, please.
      When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at TransitTalent.com.
      Job ads copyrighted by TransitTalent.com -- © 2013