San Jose PARK(ing) Day Coordinator
- Greenbelt Alliance's San Jose office is currently seeking a motivated individual to help coordinate PARK(ing) Day 2013 in San Jose. This summer volunteer internship position will run a minimum of four months. PARK(ing) Day is Friday, September 20, 2013.
The San Jose PARK(ing) Day Coordinator will coordinate activities around PARK(ing) Day in downtown San Jose on Friday, September 20, 2013.PARK(ing) Day is an annual event on the third Friday in September when artists, activists, and citizens collaborate to temporarily transform metered parking spaces into temporary public parks. PARK(ing) Day was originally created in 2005 by Rebar, a San Francisco art and design collective. Since 2005, the project has blossomed into a worldwide grassroots movement: PARK(ing) Day 2011 included more than 900 "PARK" installations in more than 160 cities on six continents.Last year, there were more than ten parking spots transformed into temporary parks in downtown San Jose. This year we would like to grow this event even more. A Greenbelt Alliance volunteer intern organized this event in San Jose three years ago and created a document outlining all the steps required to make PARK(ing) Day 2013 a success.
- Coordinate a steering committee of interested PARK(ing) Day participants to help with outreach and adoption of temporary `pop-up parks'
- Oversee promotion of event through use of flyers, social media, word of mouth, e-lists and more.
- Work with City of San Jose on logistics for event
- Design Greenbelt Alliance's `park-let' and identify donations for the park
- Coordinate day-of event activities
This is an excellent opportunity for students interested in urban and regional planning, urban design, public policy and/or environmental studies. The ideal candidate will have strong organizational skills and the ability to plan/execute events; facilitate meetings and build excellent working relationships with community groups and policy makers. This is an unpaid volunteer internship.
Please send resume to mbeasley@... with subject line: PARK(ing) Day Volunteer Internship. (www.greenbelt.org)