Seminar: David Gaker - The Value of "Green" in Transportation Decisions (March 15, UC Berkeley)

  • Asha Weinstein Agrawal
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2013
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: ITS at UC Berkeley <its.fridayseminar@...>
      Date: Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:05 PM
      Subject: [ITS] Friday Seminar - March 15th - David Gaker - The Value
      of "Green" in Transportation Decisions
      To: faculty@..., staff@...,
      students@..., transoc@...,
      its.fridayseminar.byrequest@...

      * Friday Transportation Seminar Series *

      Friday, March 15th 2013

      4 - 5 p.m. in 502 Davis Hall, UC Berkeley

      David Gaker
      Ph.D. Candidate
      Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
      UC Berkeley

      The Value of "Green" in Transportation Decisions

      Abstract: When people make transportation decisions, there are many
      factors that might influence their decision; how long the trip will
      take, how much it will cost, how far it is to the train station, the
      availability of parking at the destination, and many other variables.
      Understanding the tradeoffs people make between these attributes is
      crucial to predicting and influencing transportation behavior. For my
      dissertation research, I investigate whether (and how much) people
      care about reducing their environmental footprint. Using a sample of
      residents of the San Francisco Bay Area, I find that while a large
      portion of my sample shows no desire to reduce their emissions, there
      is a small group with a very high willingness to pay for emissions
      reductions. This insight into how people value environmental benefits
      is not only encouraging for the conservation movement but can also
      assist in the implementation of policies aimed at reducing negative
      externalities.

      Bio: David Gaker received his B.S. in Civil Engineering from the
      University of Akron in 2006. He then moved to California for a
      position in a contract administration office with Caltrans. In 2009,
      he earned his M.S. in Civil Engineering from UC Berkeley, where he is
      currently a Ph.D. Candidate.

      Please join us for a TRANSOC-sponsored Cookie Hour in the ITS Library
      at 3:30 PM.

      Organized by the Transportation Students Organizing Committee
      (TRANSOC) and partially funded by ITS Berkeley