Lecture: Joe Kott on “Sustainable Streets, Sustain able Transportation” (Stanford; 3/1)

  • Asha Weinstein Agrawal
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2013
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Joseph Kott <jkott@...>
      Date: Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 2:23 PM
      Subject: Announcement of a Lecture at Stanford this Friday, 29 February

      Dear Colleagues and Friends,

      FYI, please see the announcement below regarding a talk that I will be
      giving on the Stanford campus this Friday, February 29th, Please let
      me know should you wish to attend but need directions to the lecture
      venue.

      I hope that note finds each of you doing well.

      All the best,

      Joe

      Joseph Kott, PhD, AICP, PTP
      Lecturer and Visiting Scholar
      Stanford Program on Urban Studies

      Please join us for the Sustainable Transportation Seminar Friday, 2:30
      – 3:30 pm, in Y2E2 room 105.

      Joseph Kott will be presenting “Sustainable Streets, Sustainable Transportation”

      Abstract: Since automobile use became widespread in North America,
      Europe, and Australia during the first two decades of the 20th
      century, cities and their streets have been re-shaped to adapt to the
      motor vehicle surge. Efforts are now underway to re-define the purpose
      of arterial streets and to re-design these important thoroughfares
      accordingly. This movement has taken a variety of names, including
      “Livable Streets”, “Context Sensitive Streets” and “Complete Streets”.
      Such streets are multimodal transport links as well as places for
      socio-economic life and active living. This talk presents partial
      findings, mainly those pertaining to pedestrian activity, from
      research on assessing just how “active” and “sustainable” are a set of
      arterial streets in five San Francisco Bay Area cities. Six streets,
      two re-designed as more “livable” or more “context sensitive” streets,
      and four more conventional arterial streets, are compared across a set
      of objective performance metrics and subjective assessments from
      street users and businesses. The analysis was grounded in a mixed
      methods approach. Streets were evaluated on an array of quantitative
      measures, as well as the results of six street user focus groups and
      surveys of 716 street users and local businesses. An important outcome
      of the research is a framework or model for influences on and supports
      for street activity and sustainability. Thesis findings affirm the
      importance to communities of multi-purpose street environments.
      Thesis results show that arterial streets can be re-designed to
      engender activity and promote sustainability. This research confirmed
      the importance of providing space on arterial streets for pedestrians,
      cyclists, and transit users.

      Bio: Joseph Kott, PhD, AICP, PTP: Dr. Joseph Kott has over thirty
      years of experience in transportation planning at the local, regional,
      and state geographic scales for both public agencies and private
      consultancies. He served as Chief Transportation Official for the City
      of Palo Alto for seven years. Dr. Kott teaches courses in
      transportation and the environment and planning for sustainable urban
      and regional transportation as an adjunct faculty member within the
      San Jose State University Department of Urban and Regional Planning
      and the Stanford University Program on Urban Studies, where he also
      serves as Visiting Scholar.

      Dr. Kott holds a B.A. from Wayne State University in Detroit, a
      master’s degree in urban and regional planning from the University of
      North Carolina at Chapel Hill, master’s degrees in both transport
      planning and traffic engineering from Monash University in Melbourne,
      Australia, and a PhD in urban and regional transport planning from
      Curtin University in Perth, Australia, where he was affiliated with
      the Curtin University Sustainability Policy Institute lead by
      Professor Peter Newman. Dr. Kott is a Michigan native, from a family
      with four generations of service within the automobile industry in
      Detroit and its environs.

      Remaining Schedule:

      Mar 8 – Yinhai Wang, PacTrans, University of Washington, “DRIVE Net:
      An E-Science Transportation Platform for Big Data, Big Discovery, and
      Big Decision”

      Mar 15 – Michael Zhang, UC Davis, “Managing traffic with VGrid: A
      Vehicular ad hoc Grid computing platform”

      Hope to see you there!

      Diana

      ***************************

      Diana Ginnebaugh, PhD (CEE)

      Postdoctoral Scholar

      Sustainable Transportation

      Precourt Energy Efficiency Center

      Stanford University

      moongdes@...

      www.stanford.edu/~moongdes

      ***************************
    • Hing Wong
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 24, 2013
        The annual planners tailgate party and baseball game is coming up soon! It will be on Saturday, August 3rd. The tailgate party will start at 10:30am with game time at 1:05pm. Join us for a fun and relaxing outing. Invite your family and friends to this event. Around 50 people have participated each year. This is a great networking opportunity!

        During the tailgate party, we'll have barbeque chicken on the grill plus all the fixings. There will be a wide selection of vegetarian options as well. Then we'll watch the Oakland A's play the Texas Rangers and battle for first place. Don't worry if you're not a big baseball fan (or even a fan of one of the teams playing), you'll enjoy hanging out with fellow planners.

        Our tailgate party will be in Parking Lot "D". Enter the parking lot from 66th Avenue. [http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/oak/ballpark/parking.jsp%5d The specific location will be announced later. The parking fee for each vehicle is $17. Another option to get there is to take BART to the Coliseum/Oakland Airport station and walk to the tailgate party.

        Ticket to the baseball game along with food/drinks will be $25 per person. We will purchase the baseball game tickets (otherwise, the cost for ticket to the game is $32 for our section). We'll provide the main food and drinks, but please bring a side dish or additional drinks. If you're driving, please bring a few extra folding chairs so that we can use them during the tailgate party.

        IMPORTANT RSVP DETAILS
        (1) If you are planning to attend, please respond back via email to hingw@... by July 26, 2013.
        (2) Tell us how many tickets you will need (if more than one) as well as the names in your RSVP so that we can have an accurate count of tickets.
        (3) Send a check for the appropriate amount ($25 per person) to: Hing Wong, P.O. Box 2050, Oakland, CA 94604-2050 by July 26th.

        This event has been posted to Evite and Facebook as well as some emails, so please pardon the duplication. We hope to see you there!

        Saturday | August 3, 2013 | Oakland Coliseum
        10:30am | Tailgate Party
        1:05pm | Baseball Game

      • Hing Wong
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 21, 2013
          Effective Community Engagement
          Bay Area Planning Directors Association Meeting
          (This meeting is open to all planners)

          November 1, 2013 | 8:30am to 1:30pm
          Nile Hall, Preservation Park, 668 13th Street, Oakland

          Community engagement is an integral part of our planning work and is a rapidly changing field. This meeting is an opportunity to explore effective community participation techniques using social media and enhancing community workshops to achieve intended outcomes.

          A communications expert will identify specific strategic elements for the design and conduct of workshops for success, and a panel of Bay Area planning directors and planners will discuss their experience with social media tools and provide guidance on exploring these approaches.

          We will examine how using social media and traditional tools can result in more effective communication during planning processes, including understanding public sentiments, keeping the communication edge in our planning efforts, and making more effective decisions. The meeting is intended to provide ample opportunity for discussion and sharing of other experiences with modern community engagement practices.
          Designing and Conducting Successful Community Engagements presentation by Dr. Shawn Spano
          Effective Engagement by Planners and City Councils panel with elected officials
          Social Media and Online Engagement Tools panel with communication managers
          The $45 registration fee includes breakfast and lunch. For additional information, to view the full agenda, and to register, please go to www.abag.ca.gov/abag/events/BAPDA.