Virtual Subcontracting Opportunity with Jarrett Walker + Associates (and an opportunity in Portland, OR)

  • Jason Su
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2013
      Information in the following link:
      http://www.humantransit.org/2013/01/interested-in-working-with-me-.html
      --
      1. Full-Time Employment

      *Full-time employment* will likely look like one of these:

      - *Associate Planner*. This person, based in Portland, would take on a
      range of analysis and planning roles while also assisting with
      administrative and logistical support. Over time it could grow into
      full-time planning but in the early stages we will not have much clerical
      or administrative staff, so you must be ready to pitch in with whatever
      needs to be done. This role could be anywhere from entry-level (Masters
      preferred) to up to 3 years professional, and/or academic experience.
      Enthusiastic BAs who can show some relevant experience and skills will
      also be considered. Essential skills include English fluency, strong
      personal organization, resourcefulness, quantitative analysis skills in
      Excel, and an ability to convey ideas clearly in writing. Highly desirable
      skills include GIS and spatial analysis generally, ability to write for
      both general and technical audiences, and demonstrated skills with graphics
      including both mapping and explanatory graphics.

      - *Senior Associate. *This person, based in Portland, has all the
      skills listed above plus a either (1) a Masters in a relevant field
      (planning, design, or engineering) and over 3 years professional experience
      in transportation planning and/or policy or (2) five years of such
      experience. This person is very well-organized and an excellent manager,
      able to monitor scope, budget, and deadlines and manage more junior staff
      and subconsultants. You already have a range of skills that make you
      marketable as a transit consultant, and are capable of winning some
      projects based on those skills combined with me in a project director or
      oversight role.

      2. Subcontracting

      *Subcontracting* would take the form of part-time but committed roles
      assisting me with various tasks. ("Committed" means that our agreement
      imposes deadlines, requires a certain minimum degree of availability,
      prohibits you from disappearing in the middle of a task, and may include a
      non-compete clause, but otherwise leaves much room for flexibility in how
      work is done.) Subconractors are capable of self-direction and can
      accurate commit to the time and materials required for various tasks. I am
      especially interested in subcontractors who can help with:

      - *Graphics of a high presentation quality* designed to engage and
      enlighten a general audience, such as you would expect of an artchitecture
      or design firm. These would include both informative maps and compelling
      visual explanations. This person should be comfortable with GIS (as a
      common data source) as well as more artistic graphics programs, and should
      have a portfolio of clear, engaging and exciting graphical explanations of
      ideas and/or choices.

      - *Quantitative analysis* of transit issues using Excel (including
      graphs), GIS, and other relevant software you may propose.

      - *General transit planning*, which requires both quantative and
      qualitative skills plus good writing skills and an understanding of transit
      issues demonstrated in past work. It is also very, very helpful if you
      have experience interacting with general decision-makers and the public,
      and also with professionals in adjacent fields such as transportation
      policy, urban design, and traffic engineering.

      How to Express Interest

      1. Take the time to understand my work a little, and think about how your
      own values and experience relate to that. At the very least, read the
      introduction
      to my book<http://www.humantransit.org/human-transit-the-book-introduction.html>
      and
      explore my professional website <http://jarrettwalker.com/>. Obviously
      generic or find-and-change applications will be ignored.

      2. Send me an email, using the link under my photo. In the subject line,
      say "Employment" or "Subcontracting" and the position or area(s) listed
      above that you feel you are qualified for.

      3. Don't write a lot in the email, because that material is a pain to
      organize and file. Put your message to me in the cover letter.

      4. Provide cover letter, resume, and work samples (including professional,
      academic or volunteer work) that you feel are most relevant. If the work
      samples are not exclusively your work, explain what part of it is yours.

      5. In your cover letter, be sure to state the salary range or billing rate
      that you believe is appropriate. If you're not sure, cite your most recent
      salary or hourly rate for similar work.

      6. In your cover letter, state any limitations about your ability to
      travel for work. If you are not in Portland, clarify if you are interested
      in moving there, now or in the future. Again, a Portland location is not
      essential for subcontractors, but it is still a consideration.

      I will start reviewing responses around February 1. If you plan to
      respond, please do so by then!

      Please forward a link to this post to anyone who might be interested!
      Thanks!

      *Jason Su*
      Master of Urban Planning Candidate, 2013
      *San Jose State University*
      *sujason25@...
      *

      <http://www.facebook.com/citystudies>