Fwd: Regional Governance CPI

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2003
      fyi...need not be a SPUR member...

      ----Original Message Follows----
      From: events@...
      To: events@...
      Subject: Regional Governance CPI
      Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 01:07:29 -0700 (PDT)

      Citizen Planning Institute: Regional Governance
      Friday, June 27
      9:00 AM-3:30 PM (lunch included)
      SFSU Downtown Campus, 425 Market St. (at Fremont) 26th Floor
      415-781-8726 x112 for information

      Dear SPUR members and friends,

      If you haven't already signed up, I'd like to invite you to our next Citizen
      Planning Institute, on Regional Governance. In our increasingly
      interconnected world, local governments share many common
      responsibilities--and burdens. Local governments and subregional agencies
      struggle to find ways to cooperate on such issues as housing, land use, and
      transportation, but lack the institutional arrangements to do so
      effectively. The topic sparks endlessly fascinating (and often contentious)
      debate on potential forms and powers. We will discuss many possible
      solutions in our day-long CPI that promote cooperation and accountability
      among localities, including regional governance and state oversight. Join us
      and hear transportation, government, and regional planning experts discuss
      leading ideas--and proven solutions--to these issues.

      Guest Speakers will include David Bragdon, President of Portland Metro, one
      of the most successful regional government efforts in the United States. He
      will describe the keys to success and the ongoing challenges of Oregon's
      efforts. We'll also hear from Bay Area experts on regional government,

      � Joe Bodovitz, former director, Bay Vision 2020
      � Mark DeSaulnier, Contra Costa County Supervisor; Association of Bay
      Area Governments (ABAG) and Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC)
      Board Member
      � Paul Fassinger, Demographer, ABAG
      � Steve Heminger, Executive Director, MTC
      � Tom Jones, Executive Director, California Futures Network
      � Gene Leong, Executive Director, ABAG

      You can sign up online at http://www.spur.org/regionalCPI.shtm. The
      registration fee for the conference is $50, and if you aren't yet a SPUR
      member, you can join for the reduced price of $25 when you also sign up for
      the conference. If you have any questions about the program or registration
      details, please feel free to contact Jeff Swenerton, Communications Manager,
      at 415-781-7291 x112 or jswenerton@....

      See you there!

      Jeff Swenerton
      Communications ManagerSan Francisco Planning and Urban Research Association
      312 Sutter St. Suite 500
      San Francisco, CA 94108
      E: jswenerton@...
      P: 415-781-8726 x112