POSITIONANNOUNCEMENTBioGems5-20

    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2003
      ----- Forwarded by Asha Weinstein/SJSU on 05/24/2003 04:59 PM -----

      "alex lantsberg" <wideye@...>
      Sent by: owner-planning-announce@...
      05/23/2003 03:33 PM

      To: "Planningannounce" <planning-announce@...>
      cc:
      Subject: POSITIONANNOUNCEMENTBioGems5-20

      POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
      Josephine Merck Environmental Policy Fellow
      Latin American BioGems Project
      International Program, Natural Resources Defense Council
      Washington, D.C.

      The Natural Resources Defense Council, Inc. (NRDC) is seeking an energetic
      individual to join our BioGems team, as the second Josephine Merck
      Environmental Policy Fellow, working to protect threatened natural areas
      throughout the Americas.

      This position in NRDC's Washington, DC office will involve helping to
      create and implement dynamic campaigns to protect BioGems in Mexico,
      Guatemala, Belize, Chile, Peru and Brazil. Working with the Director of
      the Latin American BioGems Project, the Fellow will be responsible for a
      wide range of campaign activities. These include maintaining strong
      working relationships with our partner groups in Latin America; preparing
      materials and documents for decision-makers, the media, and the public;
      working closely with scientists and technical experts; organizing outreach
      activities and missions; translating key communications and documents; and
      cooperating with other NRDC BioGems staff.

      Applicants should have a minimum of a bachelor's degree and preferably a
      master's or law degree and at least one year of relevant experience.
      Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Spanish are
      essential, Portuguese is a strong plus. Prior advocacy work with
      activists, communities, scientists, and/or government officials in Latin
      America is highly desirable. Applicants must be able and willing to
      travel. We are looking for someone who is results-oriented, able to adapt
      to different situations, and passionate about making a difference to
      protect the environment.

      NRDC is a non-profit environmental advocacy organization with more than
      500,000 members, and more than 300,000 online activists. We have offices
      in New York, Washington, D.C., San Francisco and Los Angeles. Our staff
      of 250 includes lawyers, scientists, policy analysts and support staff who
      work to protect the environment and public health through advocacy and
      education. For more information on NRDC and our BioGems Initiative, see www.nrdc.org and www.savebiogems.org.

      NRDC established The Josephine Merck Fellowship to enable recent graduates
      to learn a variety of applied public policy approaches. The Fellows will
      gain experience in environmental policy in a substantive and hands-on way,
      which will give them a strong grounding in environmental advocacy and a
      basis for a career in environmental advocacy

      NRDC offers excellent benefits and a pleasant working environment. We are
      an equal opportunity employer and committed to workplace diversity. Women
      and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. Salary is based
      upon a non-profit scale and is commensurate with experience.

      This Fellowship has a term of two years, but the position may be extended
      depending upon performance and funding. The position is available as of
      July 1, 2003.

      Applicants should submit letter of interest (stating job source), resume and writing sample to:

      Josephine Merck Environmental Policy Fellowship ? BioGems
      International Program
      Natural Resources Defense Council
      40 West 20th Street
      New York, NY 10011

      Or by email: hr@...

      Applicants will be notified in writing. No phone calls please.