RARE Program: Sustainable Planning for Rural Communities in Oregon (National Service/AmeriCorps)

    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2003
      The RARE Program is a National Service/AmeriCorps Program. We would
      like to announce our call for applications for October 2003.
      >>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      >>The mission of the RARE Program is to increase the capacity of rural
      >>communities to improve their economic, social, and environmental
      conditions, through the assistance of trained graduate-level members who live and
      work in communities for 11 months. Qualified college graduates and
      graduate-level students who are selected as RARE members assist communities and
      agencies in the development and implementation of plans for achieving a
      sustainable natural resource base and improving rural economic conditions.

      >>Members receive a $1,250/monthly living stipend and medical health
      >>insurance. In addition, at the successful completion of 11 months of
      >>service, RARE members are eligible to receive an educational award of
      $4,725 from AmeriCorps.

      >>Our general web page address is <http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~rare>.
      >>
      >>Once you enter the flash version you can navigate through the page by
      using the toolbar on the left hand side of the page.

      >>To see the Frequently Asked Questions page click on members then the
      FAQ,
      >>this page should answer a lot of your questions about the program.
      >>
      >>Our program timeline and application process for 2003-2004 can be
      found
      >>under member on the left hand toolbar and then click on application
      >>materials. We require our electronic application form, a resume and
      web
      under
      >>Member & Application Materials. Applications are due on June 16,
      2003. All
      >>of the application components will be required electronically.
      >>
      >>Below is a list of potential Resource Assistance for Rural
      Environments
      >>(RARE) positions available in the Fall of 2003.
      >>
      >>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      >>POTENTIAL POSITIONS WITH THE RARE PROGRAM IN 2003
      >>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      >>1.      Education and Outreach Coordinator ­ Corvallis, OR
      >>Provide leadership and coordination in community organizing for
      cooperative water quality projects; help develop volunteer groups for ongoing
      'adopt a
      >>stream' program.
      >>
      >>2.      Project Coordinator ­ Cascade Locks, OR
      >>Oversee telecommunications project development and enhancement;
      research
      >>criteria for low impact hydropower certification, and identify a
      consultant
      >>to perform reconnaissance feasibility study; coordinate the City's
      removal
      >>of utility poles and undergrounding of power lines in environmentally
      >>sensitive areas; follow through on incorporation of recently adopted
      master
      >>downtown plan into the community development code.
      >>
      >>3.      Natural Hazards Planner ­ Florence, OR
      >>Compile digital library of natural hazard data; make data accessible
      the
      >>general public; create a public portal for natural hazards data;
      report on
      >>findings to civic organizations.
      >>
      >>4.      Parks and Recreation District Planner ­ Harrisburg, OR
      >>Assess the present and future needs of the city for parks and
      recreation;
      >>determine how best to fund park land acquisition, development and
      >>maintenance; provide leadership in the formation of a Parks and
      Recreation
      >>District; prepare a design for local streets as part of the city's
      >>Transportation System Plan.
      >>
      >>5.      Tourism and Natural History Park Plan Developer ­ Seaside, OR
      >>Review and evaluate parking and congestion conditions; survey tourist
      >>perceptions of congestion; develop conceptual plan to guide and
      promote
      >>development of a natural history park of the Neawanna Estuary System.
      >>
      >>6.      Land Use Planner ­ Stayton, OR
      >>Update land use and development codes for the city; update the city's
      >>comprehensive plan and usher through periodic review; manage building
      >>permits and the buildable lands inventory; work with city on updating
      their
      >>website.
      >>
      >>7.      Project Coordinator/Assistant Volunteer Coordinator ­
      Pendleton,
      OR
      >>Assist in distribution of regional natural resource information
      packet and
      >>evaluate its use by recipients, and formulate recommendations for
      further
      >>distribution; organize volunteers for Lewis & Clark Commemoration.
      >>
      >>8.      Transportation and Parks Planner ­ St. Helens, OR
      >>Update existing Transportation System Plan; develop Master Plan to
      expand
      >>and diversify two existing community parks.
      >>
      >>9.      County Tourism Coordinator ­ Tillamook, OR
      >>Coordinate tourism related and other community events; promote the
      value
      of
      >>tourism to county businesses; conduct feasibility study for
      interpretive
      >>heritage farm and an indoor water park.
      >>
      >>10.     Industrial Lands Planner ­ Garibaldi, OR
      >>Inventory available industrial and commercial lands in Tillamook,
      Clatsop
      >>and Columbia counties; assist city in developing an action plan based
      >>current on community visioning plan.
      >>
      >>11.     Community Service and Literacy Project Coordinator ­ Falls
      City,
      OR
      >>Organize community action service system; develop volunteer network
      >>promote literacy outreach program.
      >>
      >>12.     Homeownership Education Project Coordinator ­ Salem, OR
      >>Assist existing services in providing homeownership education and
      financial
      >>counseling services to Hispanic populations in three communities.
      >>
      >>13.     Business Development Coordinator ­ Hood River, OR
      >>Develop tourism-driven business development initiative; catalogue
      available
      >>business properties; produce Enterprise Zone User's Guide; develop
      website
      >>for area.
      >>
      >>14.     Watershed Education and Outreach Coordinator ­ Eugene, OR
      >>Implement revised watershed monitoring program; develop and implement
      >>watershed council volunteer program; support council education and
      outreach
      >>program.
      >>
      >>15.     Hazard Mitigation Planner ­ Salem, OR
      >>Develop hazard mitigation plan for Marion County.
      >>
      >>16.     Telecommunications Project Development Coordinator ­ The
      Dalles,
      OR
      >>Create a region-wide plan for economic growth based on the
      capabilities
      >>provided by broadband access.
      >>
      >>17.     Project Coordinator ­ Halfway, OR
      >>Administrate a funding plan and develop marketing and business plans
      for
      an
      >>assisted living facility.
      >>
      >>18.     Alternative Transportation Advocate ­ Medford, OR
      >>Work with area employers, employees, schools, and the general public
      >>promote alternative transportation.
      >>
      >>19.     Watershed Education and Outreach Coordinator ­ Mapleton, OR
      >>Facilitate watershed education and outreach projects for schools and
      >>watershed residents; develop and promote rural economic development.
      >>
      >>20.     Scenic Byway/Interpretive Plan Developer ­ Pendleton, OR
      >>Facilitate interaction with stakeholder groups to move forward
      designation
      >>of Scenic Byway; conduct research, develop inventory and plan for
      >>interpretive materials of tribal homelands.
      >>
      >>21.     County Museum Planner ­ Tillamook, OR
      >>Integrate museum library resources with Coastal Resource Sharing
      Network
      >>making the 4,000+ volumes available to a larger number of residents;
      catalog
      >>and index museum's historical documents.
      >>
      >>22.     Watershed Enhancement Project Coordinator ­ Hillsboro, OR
      >>Work with landowners to determine ways to improve the management of
      their
      >>land; develop long-term stewardship plans for select properties;
      track
      >>location and progress of current restoration projects and utilize
      >>information to strategically decide where future restoration projects
      will
      >>take place.
      >>
      >>23.     Watershed Assessment Planner ­ Roseburg, OR
      >>Coordinate and implement the Rock Creek regional watershed assessment
      and
      >>action plan; facilitate the watershed council's volunteer monitoring
      >>program; coordinate transition between federal and Oregon Plan
      reporting
      >>systems.
      >>
      >>24.     Microenterprise Development Coordinator ­ Roseburg, OR
      >>Conduct an evaluation of the existing microenterprise program;
      provide
      >>support to upcoming coastal microenterprise program; co-instruct
      financial
      >>literacy classes and assist in updating the class curriculum; assist
      in
      the
      >>development of a self-help housing program.
      >>
      >>25.     Industrial Lands Planner ­ Enterprise, OR
      >>Maintain industrial lands inventory; facilitate contact committee
      which
      >>responds to inquiries for new industrial development in the county;
      develop
      >>marketing plan and identify potential new companies in Wallowa
      County;
      find,
      >>develop and pursue leads for industrial development.
      >>
      >>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      >>Rose Armour
      >>Assistant Director
      >>Resource Assistance for Rural Environments Program
      >>1209 University of Oregon
      >>Eugene, OR 97403-1209
      >>Phone: 541/346-2879
      >>Fax:  541/346-2040